On 1/5/2020 at 9:46 AM, Down East said:

Thanks Kaffer62. Everybody seems to say 33 is a favorable unit across the board. 
If I were to travel 2300 miles and have the kind of things happen that Jnj13 describes I would definitely be somewhat disappointed. What he describes is definitely what I am trying to avoid. 
I realize most hunters have favorable experiences in the border units but I’m not sure I’m willing to take that chance. Especially on my first Couse hunt ever when I already am so far behind the learning curve on so many other facets of hunting these deer. The challenge for me in even going on this hunt is to see for myself if I can apply my 35 years of general hunting knowledge to successfully kill a whitetail in the desert environment. 
Thanks again man!!!

If you hunt hard in any unit that has a decent population you will find deer. I have used Optics 4 Rent for probably 15 years and they are great to work with. Get a tripod for the 15's or even for 10's when glassing. The stability they offer can't be duplicated even with 10's. An extended weekender before the hunt would be invaluable to understand the type of hunting and nuances of desert hunting. Many of us would be happy to take you out and explain the country to you so you can understand things you won't read in a book or learn from a website.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

If you hunt hard in any unit that has a decent population you will find deer. I have used Optics 4 Rent for probably 15 years and they are great to work with. Get a tripod for the 15's or even for 10's when glassing. The stability they offer can't be duplicated even with 10's. An extended weekender before the hunt would be invaluable to understand the type of hunting and nuances of desert hunting. Many of us would be happy to take you out and explain the country to you so you can understand things you won't read in a book or learn from a website.

There are some good people on here like he said. 

Thanks for the info once again guys! 

PRDATR,

Once I get drawn and figure out my logistics and timing on everything I’ll reach out to you guys and let you know when and where I’m going to hunt. Thanks again to everybody for the help and generosity.!!!

I’m not sure if it’s been said, but a tripod for your binos is the single most important tool you can have.  More so then your rifle.  Tasco 7x42’s on a tripod will find more game then swaro’s being hand held any day.  I’d just rent a tripod and swaro 12’s from one of the rental places.  12’s will be better for you if you’re just learning to glass, 15’s can be a little short on field of view so you’ll move around too much and that exactly what you don’t want to do.  

• Like 3

Yeah I learned early on in this process that glassing without a tripod isn’t an option. The 15’s I will rent come with a backpack tripod so I’ll probably just go that route and get an adaptor for my 10’s and bounce between the 2. 
Thanks again for the advice. 

After having meopta 15s and viper 15s even the vipers are good enough for backpacking.  You can get them used for around $400 and they are light. No not as good as meopta or Swaro bit you could buy a pair then sell them. It's worth mentioning you could do an archery trip otc and scout and hunt for a potential rifle tag later. 

Thanks for info on those binos. Good to know options. 
I like the idea of scouting as much as possible for sure but I think I would  rather do my scouting with a rifle in my hand for the first trip. If I shoot one great, if not I’ll just chalk it up as a scouting/learning experience. 
I know I could get an OTC archery tag guaranteed but it appears as though my chances to get a rifle tag in all seasons but the last one are pretty decent odds. Maybe I’m not looking at it correctly but I think that’s the route I want to go. 
I’m certain if I went bow hunting I would see a buck 2-300 yards out grinning at me and if I take a rifle I will see one 1,000 yards out doing the same. You know how that works!
This first go at it is going to be a 90% learning experience for me with a 10% chance of killing a buck. I’m good with that too. It’s a beautiful place to get schooled anyway.

Thanks!!!

4 hours ago, ScottAdams said:

This is why I've loved this site since 2003!  You guys are great!!

I agree. I joined this site in 2005 when there were about 600 members. Before that I just hiked all day long and all I ever saw were white tails flagging running away. Over the years I have picked up a lot of great info and I have put it into practice in the field. Now I cover all those miles with my eyes. The best hunts that I have been on are the ones where I help a friend or family member fill a big game tag for the first time. There are lots of us willing to help out. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Down East said:

No I do not have any points. I should still have a decent chance  at drawing some sort of hunt with no points though correct?

7D12D4B1-2A0D-4D98-8BDA-39371CFBE0EA.thumb.png.c6fe6ad0c0d07ae0057da361615de162.png

Here’s what gohunt has for odds in 33 (assuming that’s what you settled on).