5 hours ago, Down East said:

I’m somewhat of a “I wonder what’s over the next ridge” kinda person 

That's funny, I always wonder the same thing. I think most serious coues hunters are also probably like that.  

As for the water question, I feel like I go through a lot of water.  I'd personally feel safer having 2 gallons per day and bring some sort of electrolyte mix.  

I’ll definitely have some electrolyte mix with me. Good reminder there.
I can only carry about 5 gallons of water in my pack and have enough weight space for the rest of my gear. I’m only 5’6” weighing 150 so a total weight of more than about 65- 70 pounds becomes a burden after several miles in. 
Packing out meat is one thing if I’m headed to my vehicle. 
Theoretically I’ll be dropping 8 lbs. with every gallon I use but hopefully the loss of water weight will be replaced with the weight of deer meat. Wishing thinking I know but gotta stay positive. 
Thanks again for the advice. 

Some of the terrain can be extremely rough with 70lbs of gear and water. It’s not likely you’ll have to walk more than 2 miles.... really even 1 mile to find a spot. At that point I’d just truck camp and maybe do a day or two out of your pack if you wanted.

Yeah don’t get me wrong I prefer to carry as little weight as possible but sometimes I have to do what I have to do to stick to a game plan that I have confidence in.

I have learned on several occasions hunting or fishing that if I am not confident in what I am doing I might as well be at Disney taking pictures with Mickey Mouse.

I do think that 3 days max away from my vehicle will make the most sense. Depending on how that time period goes then regroup at the vehicle, restock supplies and go again. 

I’m super excited to go on this adventure in case yaull were wondering!!

• Like 1

I sit in a bow stand 40-50 times and sit with my son rifle hunting 10-12 times a deer season here in N.C. and see plenty of deer but the spot and stalk style of hunting that is virtually impossible where I hunt is what makes the AZ desert so appealing to me. 
Who knows, I may be awful at glassing and stalking but hunting is hunting and fishing is fishing. I’ll try, learn from any errors made and try again until it works out. That philosophy has generally served me well over the years. 

• Like 1

9B654145-351A-48B7-84B6-E162D607A163.jpeg.9e0f3dac1938b05012e4a0f26bb80771.jpeg450582C4-F36F-4219-8E3E-FF93BA024F3B.thumb.jpeg.013ba8eb0df904760bcd7f42efd11359.jpegSo I have to share a few pictures of the deer my son shot. I thought you guys might be able to appreciate it. F599BDFB-F336-42B5-9D63-F33A1669BF2C.thumb.jpeg.5abfbaa25efb131ccad8b019f2c70cf7.jpegGrossed 165 7/8. The guy in the picture is my taxidermist. 

• Like 3
  • Great Buck! 1

I can get by on two liters a day. For me the key is to slow down when I start to sweat. It all really depends on the temperature and how hot it is. A lot depends on how much water you usually drink normally and what your body is used to taking in.

I've hunted and lived in Arizona for 40 years after moving here in my late 20's and have learned to make two liters last all day. I have always used an external frame pack with long zipper pouches on each side and put one bottle in each side.

Yeah I feel like a gallon a day should be in my range. Maybe a little more with cooking, etc... I know I will be making long hikes with a pack full of gear but Im planning on sitting in a good glassing location for several hours at a time if all goes well. 

Thanks for your input. 

I have been scouring over topo maps and satellite images of Unit 33. Primarily elevations from 4,000-6,000 ft. I can see plenty of potential good glassing vantage points for different times of day. I can envision some of the more vegetated draws definitely holding more deer especially during the warmer mid day hours, but I’m curious to know if you guys see good numbers of deer on the more sparsely vegetated hills when the rut isn’t going on. I would guess these deer get more careless and appear in more vulnerable, less vegetated areas during the rut but I seriously doubt I’ll be able to draw a “rut time tag” anytime in the near future. 
Thanks again for all the help and insight. 

True coues rut is otc archery in january for the most part.  But some action is going on before that.   That being said, bucks will be following the does, the does will be sticking to their routines.  If you feel warm they will not be out in the open. They will most likely be in bottoms or north facing slopes.  

Thanks for the reply CatfishKev. That makes perfect sense.
I assume like most deer do they get up and stretch their legs for a couple hours in the morning and evening but stay pretty close to where they feel somewhat safe. 
Just logically thinking I would assume that glassing around the thicker draws would probably give me the best chance to catch a buck getting up from or returning to bed during the lower light times of the day. 
If you can’t tell already I’m doing a lot of assuming here based on the fact that I have no experience with these Coues deer. I’m trying to keep my mind as open as possible however so I don’t end up trying to find a deer the way I want to find one instead of hunting the deer for what they are. I guess what I’m trying to say is as with most wild game you have to play by their rules and not try to force them to play by our rules. 
Thanks again for the 2 cents!

Those hills are travel routes and you will see deer going across them at all elevations on well traveled trails during different times of the day. They have a good view of predators when they are in the open.

Hey quick question for you guys that have been around Unit 33. In general how is the cell reception around this unit? I have a Garmin GPS for location purposes but I’m considering getting a satellite communicator for more remote locations. 
Thanks. 

Coverage is definitely hit and miss. The Summerhaven coverage is better now than it ever has been. In all likelihood, I'd expect no coverage depending on where you are hunting. Unless you're really close to Tucson or Oracle Road.