Hoss50

What Caliber For Rebarrel?

What Caliber  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What Caliber

• 257 Weatherby Mag
    • 264 Win Mag
    • 264 Weatherby Mag (257 Weatherby Necked to 264)
    • Other

So Eric @ Axisworks confirmed for me today that my 257 Weatherby mag barrel is shot out. It is a basic Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500). Now I need to figure out what calibers I need to be thinking about for rebarrel. That is where CWT comes in! Help me choose and brainstorm a caliber.  I am going to use this action. It is the first rifle I ever bought for myself, and the first rifle I killed a big game animal with. Criteria are I need to reuse this action with a long action magnum bolt face. I don't need a big boomer .30 Cal+ type caliber. I have a standard velocity 6.5 cal rifle, and have access to some 7mm mags from my dad. So I am thinking I want to keep this rifle in the 257-264 size. Thoughts?

Fast twist .257 Weatherby.  Run the 131s.

Fast twist .264WM.  Run the 156s.  

Fast twist 6.5 Sherman Max.  Run the 156.

• Like 1

I’ve been shooting a .264 win mag my whole life. They are hard to beat. I load 130 eldm’s at 3300fps. Coues poison

• Like 1

Since its a magnum bolt face the 264 win. wins. With the new bullets and powders we have today it should really show its true potential. 

6.5 PRC or the 6.5 x 300 weatherby.   I think the PRC will be more accurate (both will be plenty accurate for hunting purposes) but the weatherby will be a bit faster.....do you really need more speed...sure why not.   If you love the 257 just stick another barrel on that gun and go kill more stuff.  

• Like 1

Dang, before I posted this I had kinda talked myself into keeping it 257 Weatherby. Now 264 win mag is back on the table...

Any others I should consider? 

Look at shooting the 131 ace from BlackJack out of a 25 caliber. It has better ballistics than many if not all of the 6mm and 6.5.

• Like 1

I say stick with the .257 Weatherby, especially if you re-load you already have all the stuff for it. 

Think of it like this for most practical hunting applications.    You are just putting a piece of lead down range.    The only difference is the weight of the piece of lead and speed.   The cartridge the piece of lead comes from doesn't really matter.   The difference in the energy one piece of lead creates over a difference piece of lead is very minimal between all the cartridges you are talking about.   

Now if you want to shoot 1000 yard competitions then there can be a difference.    For shooting critters 700 yards and under you are just trying to drive yourself crazy........trust me I'm already crazy from debating this with myself.   If you would like to join us we have a 12 step program that you can join.   We have plenty of coffee and will discuss our issues.....

• Haha 2

I'd stick with the the 257 WBY.  Sounds like it has some sentimental value as first rifle and first game kill with it.  Plenty a good bullets in 25 cal to be had for Coues.  257 will have a little less recoil than 264WM.  Don't know if your rifle will be braked or with suppressor.  You said you had access to 7mm (possibly for elk?), so a 257 offers a greater caliber difference. 

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 10:12 AM, recurveman said:

If you would like to join us we have a 12 step program that you can join.   We have plenty of coffee and will discuss our issues.....

I think I need meets, but I hate coffee... I guess I will just suffer in silence with the caliber demons fighting on my shoulders...