Hoss50

What Caliber For Rebarrel?

What Caliber  

29 members have voted

1. 1. What Caliber

• 257 Weatherby Mag
    • 264 Win Mag
    • 264 Weatherby Mag (257 Weatherby Necked to 264)
    • Other

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 10:27 AM, Red Rabbit said:

I'd stick with the the 257 WBY.  Sounds like it has some sentimental value as first rifle and first game kill with it.  Plenty a good bullets in 25 cal to be had for Coues.  257 will have a little less recoil than 264WM.  Don't know if your rifle will be braked or with suppressor.  You said you had access to 7mm (possibly for elk?), so a 257 offers a greater caliber difference. 

I am thinking I am going to stick with 257 so I can still say I have a quarter bore. I already have a 6.5x55 so I have something in the 6.5 flavor.

• Like 2

Confirmed. I am sticking with 257 weatherby. I could give up on my only quarter bore.

• Like 1

Another vote for .257 if you have access to a 7MM for Elk.  The 7RM is basically the reason to .264WM nearly went the way of the DODO.  Does the same thing with more smack.

39 minutes ago, Jlreff said:

300 win mag custom throated for high b c bullets with a minimum of a 1-9 twist.

I have access to a 300 already so I opted to go back to 257 weatherby. 

Some day a nice 300 something might have to get built though for 600+ shooting. 

On 1/7/2020 at 10:12 AM, recurveman said:

Think of it like this for most practical hunting applications.    You are just putting a piece of lead down range.    The only difference is the weight of the piece of lead and speed.   The cartridge the piece of lead comes from doesn't really matter.   The difference in the energy one piece of lead creates over a difference piece of lead is very minimal between all the cartridges you are talking about.   

Now if you want to shoot 1000 yard competitions then there can be a difference.    For shooting critters 700 yards and under you are just trying to drive yourself crazy........trust me I'm already crazy from debating this with myself.   If you would like to join us we have a 12 step program that you can join.   We have plenty of coffee and will discuss our issues.....

Where are these meetings held? Seems like I always have 6 guns that really do the same thing.. ok see help needed I am already lying to myself 20 that do the same. 🤦‍♂️