Sign in to follow this  
Gut Pile

Browning BAR mk3 heck's Canyon accuracy

I was planning on buying a Browning heck's Canyon Speed in .308. checked it out a few times at a shop. Love the x bolt action. Awesome gun. Well I saw that Browning now offers a Bar mk3 heck's Canyon addition. The first deer I killed was in NC with my Grandpa's BAR 30-06. I guess the semi auto action has really started to appeal to me. It would be great for coyote or Javi hunting. However, coues & elk are my favorite hunts. What I'm curious about is; will I be making a big sacrifice in accuracy and reliability going with the BAR over the x-bolt? I've never shot anything over 250yds. That being said, I still want to have the ability to make farther shots if needed. Anybody have experience with a BAR? Any problems with the action in the field, being auto loading? Would I still have the ability to make a 450yd shot with quality scope, vortex razor,(assuming I practiced at that range). Is .308 enough medicine for a bull elk at further ranges? I've been hunting everything with a model 700 in .300 RUM up to this point, so would like a caliber that would be somewhat universal. ( 300 RUM has been a little heavy for javelina. ) Am I better off sticking with the x-bolt heck's Canyon? There are many great rifles out there, but please help me choose just between these two. Any input would be helpful. Thanks, Gut Pile

I see H-E double hockey sticks is sensored. Had to chuckle at that.😊

• Like 1

I've hunted AZ with BAR's all of my adult life. 1st one was 270 Win. It killed about 17 elk and 5 antelope. Longest shots were 475 on an elk and 500 on an antelope. But most were 100 to 300. Retired that BAR and went with a BAR 270 WSM Shorttrac LeftHand eject. Have killed about 6 elk with it with longest shot about 575 and most around 400. Most of these were late cow hunts where elk were bedded on knobs and no way to get too much closer without losing sight of them. Put a Leupold scope on it and you are good to go. Or Vortex if that's what you are into. Post up a pic of whatever you get.

19 hours ago, DUG said:

I've hunted AZ with BAR's all of my adult life. 1st one was 270 Win. It killed about 17 elk and 5 antelope. Longest shots were 475 on an elk and 500 on an antelope. But most were 100 to 300. Retired that BAR and went with a BAR 270 WSM Shorttrac LeftHand eject. Have killed about 6 elk with it with longest shot about 575 and most around 400. Most of these were late cow hunts where elk were bedded on knobs and no way to get too much closer without losing sight of them. Put a Leupold scope on it and you are good to go. Or Vortex if that's what you are into. Post up a pic of whatever you get.

Thanks for the info DUG, really appreciate the first accounts. I will certainly post up once I pick.

My dad used to have 1 in 7mm mag. It shot well. The only issue with them is they are a little heavier than a bolt gun.

typically the bolt guns are more accurate.   Does it matter under 300 yards.  NO.  It might matter at 500 yards depending on the size of the target.   I grew up in Michigan where I always shot a semi auto because you needed to be fast with any follow up shots if needed.   In the past 30 years out west I can't think of a time where I wished I had a repeater over a bolt gun.  About the only time I can think of a repeater being a better option than a bold gun is if you don't really need a rest and you need to make quick shots.    If the shot is a bit further then the time to operate the bolt isn't very long compared to the time it takes to set up a second shot and get a good rest again.   Also most of the time the first shot is the one that counts (or doesn't).   Make the first shot count!!!!!!!   If you only shoot one shot then it doesn't matter if the gun was a bolt or repeater. 

If you are looking for a really great gun I would look at the tikka T3's in stainless.    Get a 30-06 and practice a bit.   You will be able to shoot anything in the lower 48 with that gun.   I have this gun in a .308 and it shoots great.      

• Like 1