WhtMtnHunter

What requirements to be considered a HAM pistol?

Does game and fish have any written parameters as to what they consider a handgun for the HAM hunts?  I have a 14" TC Contender which I am sure is fine but what about the AR platforms with 10.5" barrels that are advertised as "pistol length"?  Have to remove the butt stock?  I don't see anything in the regs that addresses what exactly is a pistol/handgun. 

Interesting I couldn't find any definitions for hand guns in the regs. Except

“Muzzleloading handgun” means a firearm intended to be
fired from the hand, incapable of firing fixed ammunition,
and loaded with black powder or synthetic black
powder and a single projectile.

looks like they left out handguns or I'm not seeing it. but that all being said, I am guessing this applies

means a firearm intended to be fired from the hand

I am guessing a brace will be up to the LEO checking you out.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Delw said:

Interesting I couldn't find any definitions for hand guns in the regs. Except

looks like they left out handguns or I'm not seeing it. but that all being said, I am guessing this applies

I am guessing a brace will be up to the LEO checking you out.

For the HAM elk hunts it might be nice to have a semi auto AR "pistol" in 308 or something similar.  However I don't want to be the one to test the limits with the unit 3B warden!  I guess I would need to negotiate that before the hunt.

I don't see anything wrong with a ar pistol as long as it doesnt have a brace on it. if it has a brace on it there maybe a problem? last thing I would use is an ar anything, heck savage, tc and a few others have .308 pistols and they are tack drivers.

I remember a long while ago there was some talk about putting bipods on pistols (before the internet came out) saying it was an unfair advantage etc etc. cant remember whatever happened with that.

Think I was reading it in one of the old varmit hunting magazine or it could have been shooting times.

11 minutes ago, WhtMtnHunter said:

For the HAM elk hunts it might be nice to have a semi auto AR "pistol" in 308 or something similar.  However I don't want to be the one to test the limits with the unit 3B warden!  I guess I would need to negotiate that before the hunt.

Yeah if there’s no barrel length limit, technically a 24” .308 mounted on a pistol lower with a brace is a legal gun for a HAM elk or javy hunt.  Put a bipod on it and a good turret scope and you’ve got a 700 yard gun.  

• Like 1

This isn't rocket science. Words have meanings and meanings have words.  G&F doesn't define it because it's been defined for eons.
hand·gun
/ˈhan(d)ˌɡən/
noun: handgun; plural noun: handguns

1. a gun designed for use by one hand, especially a pistol or revolver.

pis·tol
    /ˈpistl/
    noun: pistol; plural noun: pistols

a small firearm designed to be held in one hand.

Firearms Verification

Gun Control Act Definitions
    Pistol

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term “Pistol” means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:

a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);

and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:
This isn't rocket science. Words have meanings and meanings have words.  G&F doesn't define it because it's been defined for eons.
hand·gun
/ˈhan(d)ˌɡən/
noun: handgun; plural noun: handguns

1. a gun designed for use by one hand, especially a pistol or revolver.

pis·tol
    /ˈpistl/
    noun: pistol; plural noun: pistols

a small firearm designed to be held in one hand.

Firearms Verification

Gun Control Act Definitions
    Pistol

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(29) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term “Pistol” means a weapon originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile (bullet) from one or more barrels when held in one hand, and having:

a chamber(s) as an integral part(s) of, or permanently aligned with, the bore(s);

and a short stock designed to be gripped by one hand at an angle to and extending below the line of the bore(s).

But G&F is a law enforcement agency’s so they do in fact define it. And barrel length is not a factor. 

To use a weapon that is all but a rifle via a loophole, your only cheating your self. 

E56038B3-B60B-42D3-B14B-C5D66CC4A8ED.png

• Like 6

Thank you. 👍 I had searched for that because I thought it was there but somehow missed it. 

EDIT: Figured what I did. I looked in the regs with the javelina HAM hunts instead of the deer regs booklet! Shame on me. 🤬

3 minutes ago, WhtMtnHunter said:

Thanks oz31p, that's what I was looking for.

It’s in the 2020 hunting regulations 

Funny, guys think these AR handguns are brand new game changers.  In reality, the Xp100's and Savage strikers have been around for years and they are really not much different than a rifle.  Guys put bipods on them, mount them to tripods and then claim they had a long "handgun" kill.  

• Like 4