WhtMtnHunter

What requirements to be considered a HAM pistol?

30 minutes ago, Big Tub said:

Think there is a big difference between the .223 and the .300?

I am a huge fan of the 300 blackout.  It packs some serious punch and with 190 gr. sub sonics and my supressor it is almost silent.  Literally, the action makes more noise than the round does.  

On 1/6/2020 at 10:19 AM, Big Browns said:

I've spoke with G&F and was told any AR with a brace is legal.  

To be a legal for HAM hunts, the AR lower has to be made and marked as "pistol only" by the manufacturer. You can't put a pistol brace on an AR rifle lower, that would still be considered a rifle, and with a shorter barrel it would be an illegal SBR.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The only thing that makes a lower a “rifle” lower is if it’s been built and sold as a rifle. If the stripped lower was sold... well, stripped, it does not have to be marked “pistol” to be built as a pistol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

The only thing that makes a lower a “rifle” lower is if it’s been built and sold as a rifle. If the stripped lower was sold... well, stripped, it does not have to be marked “pistol” to be built as a pistol.

I have several that we’re bought at complete rifles and that were built from a stripped lower . None designate pistol or rifle 

• Like 1

Only primitive weapons should be allowed.  But todays hunter needs all the help that they can get to kill a pig.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I have several that we’re bought at complete rifles and that were built from a stripped lower . None designate pistol or rifle 

If they were sold thru an ffl as a rifle then it would be illegal to make them a pistol. 

26 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

If they were sold thru an ffl as a rifle then it would be illegal to make them a pistol. 

This is true as far as I know.  A lower does not have to be marked pistol for it to be a pistol.  Like was stated, stripped lowers are sold as both or others.  If a 4473 has been filled out on the lower and it was designated rifle, it would be illegal to put a short barrel in it and then call it a pistol.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuntHarder said:

This is true as far as I know.  A lower does not have to be marked pistol for it to be a pistol.  Like was stated, stripped lowers are sold as both or others.  If a 4473 has been filled out on the lower and it was designated rifle, it would be illegal to put a short barrel in it and then call it a pistol.  

So if I have a lower that was sold as a rifle and I change it to a pistol by putting short barrel and a brace on it and then sell it to a friend thru a FFL who fills out a new 4473 for the transfer, is it now considered a pistol since I have a 4473 that says pistol?

13 minutes ago, 520HUNT said:

So if I have a lower that was sold as a rifle and I change it to a pistol by putting short barrel and a brace on it and then sell it to a friend thru a FFL who fills out a new 4473 for the transfer, is it now considered a pistol since I have a 4473 that says pistol?

No because it was sold as a rifle first. You technically broke the law by making it a pistol and selling it. If it was a home build on a virgin lower then no ones the wiser but still illegal.

10 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

No because it was sold as a rifle first. You technically broke the law by making it a pistol and selling it. If it was a home build on a virgin lower then no ones the wiser but still illegal.

Is the FFL at fault (breaking the law) by issuing a legal document 4473 saying it's a pistol?

Nope, they didnt know you broke the law.  Fault lies solely with you.  If gun is used in a crime in the future, they will go to where the firearm/lower was first sold and work the paper trail from there.  The 2nd ffl is not required to investigate the dealings of the rifle.

11 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I’d like to say no but I’m not smart enough to be sure.

So if you're buying a used AR Pistol, how do you know if it's legal?  Is there a way to research what the original 4473 listed the gun as?

On 1/5/2020 at 7:10 PM, Big Browns said:

My wife and I use this custom 6.5 Creedmoor Savage Striker.  

IMG_0573.jpg

20181006_154526(0).jpg

IMG_7713_176640182199053.jpg

Your hand is a little low there Adam

WIN_20160601_204151.JPG

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 520HUNT said:

So if you're buying a used AR Pistol, how do you know if it's legal?  Is there a way to research what the original 4473 listed the gun as?

Same way dont know if that gun has been used in a crime.  Chance you take