Sign in to follow this  
jpsciteacher

Help: Front Sight issues on new AR

Purchased an Anderson AM-15/AR rifle recently for a fun target/coyote gun. Put magpul front and rear sights on it. Rifle shot extremely high and seemed impossible to adjust correctly. I did some research and it says that sight is not supposed to be installed on gas block rail and that is why. Gun looks like picture below. Is this information correct?

Thanks,

Justin 

DF25741B-BEAA-4C7C-8F4C-7DF1CE468909.jpeg

In the picture, it appears that the gas block rail sits well below the upper receiver rail. I'd put a yard stick or any straight-edge on that back rail and see if it sits above the front gas block. That would certainly explain hitting high.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Coach said:

In the picture, it appears that the gas block rail sits well below the upper receiver rail. I'd put a yard stick or any straight-edge on that back rail and see if it sits above the front gas block. That would certainly explain hitting high.

Exactly what he said and what you said you read. You could put on a quad rail and mount it to that. 

• Like 1

Thanks for replies. I think I might just throw a decent scope or a red dot on for now.

Look for "low gas block height" front sights, or a "gas block riser" and that should help with the rails not being in the same plane.