Sign in to follow this  
AZ513

Which Unit?

Looking for some input, I'm researching out what units I should put in for this coming draw. I'm on the fence about putting in for unit 7 west, unit 10 and unit 8.

This is all going to be for the late rifle bull hunt. I have 0 points, drew a unit 10 late rifle bull tag last year with no luck ( I was the guy that got my truck stuck on the ranch). So seeking advice for this coming draw..

Pro's and Con's for each unit for me.

Unit 10 - I'm most familiar with the Big Bo. It sucks paying extra to hunt there though but don't mind it.

Unit 7 West - We have a cabin in parks so would be nice to be able to hunt in that area, haven't scouted it before so not 100% sure how well the unit does

Unit 8 - Isn't far from the cabin and could be more dry if you hunt lower elevations, which is something to consider after this last storm that we endured.

Basically looking at what unit will have better draw odds and better chance to get an elk (don't we all want that)

Any type of input is appreciated

Jay Scott just had Shadow Valley Outfitters on his podcast to talk about the elf draw and they covered these units in detail. I’d give that a listen.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Flatlander said:

Jay Scott just had Shadow Valley Outfitters on his podcast to talk about the elf draw and they covered these units in detail. I’d give that a listen.

Santa's gonna get pissed if you start killing his elves. 🤣

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I would hunt 7W over 8 any day. Being in Parks, 7W should be YOUR unit. Should be able to get a cow tag with 0 to 2 points and Bull with 3 to 5 points. Wait for LanceTkenyon to reply. He knows 7W better than most.

• Like 1

The minimal access fee to hunt the Boquillas compared to the quality of elk hunting there, has to be the best private land hunting value in the entire US.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Umpqua said:

The minimal access fee to hunt the Boquillas compared to the quality of elk hunting there, has to be the best private land hunting value in the entire US.

Agree but I’ve seen some good bulls off the BO

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Agree but I’ve seen some good bulls off the BO

There are for sure some nice bulls off the BO. :)

Here in western Oregon, Weyerhaeuser started charging access to hunt on certain properties.  Some guys don't like it because they always got on for free before.  I like it.  Before if fire season was at all a threat you were locked out.  Now with the fee, the gates are open unless fire season is truly a hazard.  Also the fee has limited the number of hunters.  Also since the land is actively managed with clearcuts and new feed that comes with those clearings and reforestation, the place supports a lot of elk.  Public lands around us are now rarely harvested with all the environmentalist hoops the Forest Service has to jump through.

7 hours ago, Flatlander said:

Was just listening to that podcast on my into work today! Just got a little into 7W before I had to go in so I'll finish it on my way home

7 hours ago, DUG said:

I would hunt 7W over 8 any day. Being in Parks, 7W should be YOUR unit. Should be able to get a cow tag with 0 to 2 points and Bull with 3 to 5 points. Wait for LanceTkenyon to reply. He knows 7W better than most.

I agree it should be my unit. I'm considering it heavily for that reason and gives me an excuse to go to the cabin all summer and scout. When you say cow tag 0-2 and Bull 3-5 are you thinking late cow and elk? Or October cow hunt?

2 hours ago, Umpqua said:

Heard some rumors about some things possibly changing with the Big Bo. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

10 is still a good unit whether on the Bo or not. 

I agree, and I was able to draw it back to back years without success. 🙃 First year passed on a bull that I should have taken 2nd morning and didn't see anything else for the rest of the hunt. This year I buried myself in mud / snow opening morning and kind of ended the hunt there

23 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

Heard some rumors about some things possibly changing with the Big Bo. 

I also heard some potential changes coming on a podcast but they didn't say what or if they were positive or negative changes for hunters, Maybe someone on here has some info regarding it