Sign in to follow this  
Umpqua

What would you do with 21 points?

I like to throw these scenarios out as often I get really helpful comments.  As a nonresident with 21 elk points what would you do?  Realize the following:

* 23N or 23S early archery may never happen due to no nonresident bonus tag.

* With the newer way nonresident bonus tags are allocated, a quality early rifle tag is still a long wait, probably 10+ years.

* I am still a few years out for a 9 early archery tag.

Here are my favorite options listed by preference (best to worst).

* Unit 10 early archery (I will be in the bonus pass.  Perfect moon phase.)

* Unit 3A/3C early archery (I would definitely draw.  Perfect moon phase.)

* Unit 3B early muzzleloader (I would likely be in the bonus pass.  Full moon.)

* Unit 10 muzzleloader, possibly with a friend riding my points (I spent 17 days on it in 2017.  Perfect moon phase.).

* Unit 23 late rifle (Full moon or it would move up in my picks).

* Unit 5B muzzleloader (Rut hunt.  Concerned with the very early dates.  Perfect moon phase.)

* Unit 22S muzzleloader (possibility for a nice bull, mostly average bulls?  Full moon.)

* Unit 1 late (points to draw both my wife and I.  Full moon.)

Depends on what you want. If you want to hunt rutting bulls either of the archery hunts will accomplish that. If you want the biggest possible bulls then 23 late might be the best option. I wouldn’t even entertain 22 South Muzzleloader or Unit 1 late.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Flatlander said:

Depends on what you want. If you want to hunt rutting bulls either of the archery hunts will accomplish that. If you want the biggest possible bulls then 23 late might be the best option. I wouldn’t even entertain 22 South Muzzleloader or Unit 1 late.

Hunting the rut is such a huge piece.  Though I think I could possibly kill a bigger bull on two of those late tags, but is 20" of horn worth missing out on a rut hunt! Not too sure about that! :)

• Like 2

Guided or DIY?  If DIY I’d stay away from the late hunts.  If guided I’d do 23 late and hire the ground pounders.  They shoot bulls on the late hunts that are bigger then a vast majority of the rut bulls killed in even the primo units.  I don’t think you’ll be able to draw that rotating 5bs early muzzy but if you think you can I would do that especially if DIY.  Just show up and start sorting through bulls.  Dates will be really good on that hunt.  

• Like 2

Just now, yotebuster said:

Guided or DIY?  If DIY I’d stay away from the late hunts.  If guided I’d do 23 late and hire the ground pounders.  They shoot bulls on the late hunts that are bigger then a vast majority of the rut bulls killed in even the primo units.  I don’t think you’ll be able to draw that rotating 5bs early muzzy but if you think you can I would do that especially if DIY.  Just show up and start sorting through bulls.  Dates will be really good on that hunt.  

Last I heard, Ground Pounders want around $15,000 for an elk hunt these days!

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

27 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

Definitely DIY but investing the time to do it well.  On our last AZ elk tag I arrived 9 days early to learn the area a bit.  I've been on some awesome guided hunts but I'm at the point in my life that I prefer the satisfaction of DIY and interacting with my wife on hunt decisions more than the opportunity at 20" or 30" more horn.  There is an exception, if I draw the AZ Strip (I'm in the max point pool), I would almost certainly have a guide involved. :)

1 hour ago, 520HUNT said:

21 pts is way too many to waste on 22S

I would agree, but since it is the only rut firearm hunt I would definitely draw it made it on my list.  About the only way I would do it is if I could carry someone on my points who knew the area VERY VERY well.

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

P.S.  If I did a late hunt I would show up 10 days early so I could have some bulls located before the opener.

1 hour ago, rossislider said:

Last I heard, Ground Pounders want around $15,000 for an elk hunt these days!

Come on, Really? A once in a lifetime AZ sheep hunt doesnt even cost that much for a guide.

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

I have a coworker who miraculously lucked into a 23N archery bull tag this past year with 2 points. He really doesn't have a whole lot of hunting knowledge or experience. He didn't even have a clue how good his tag was. Someone told him to apply for it. He was asking me a bunch of questions after the draw, so I told him I would research some of the better 23N guides for him. I called Ground Pounders for him and $15,000 was the number I was quoted. Just about fell out of my chair. I think their rational for the high price tag is because they put their whole crew and team into one hunter/tag. Seeing what auction tags go for these days, to some hunters that is probably pocket change. Definitely not for the average Joe.

• Wow! 1