Sign in to follow this  
yotebuster

Finally ended my free range bison quest!!!

2 hours ago, biglakejake said:

wow.  just a magazine cover bull.  just WOW! huge.  congrats and enjoy.  

why the STW?  first thing i would have done with that hot little tag in hand was reach out for a 416 rigby.  prob settle for a 416 rem mag both with 400 gr swift or woodleighs'.  7mm?  just a great animal sir!

lee

Good question!  I debated a lot about what to use and I have a gorgeous pre 64 model 70 .375 H&H that is an absolute tack driver with 250gr TTSX.  I set it up for my AZ bison hunt but never used it.  The reason I went with the STW is two fold, one, my dad got it for me when I was 12 and I’ve killed around a dozen different big game species with it so I wanted to add another to the list.  2:  I was concerned I may have to take a slightly longer shot (300-400) as the national elk refuge has some wide open sage flats.  I ran the numbers on it and because of the higher case capacity and slimmer bullet, the STW actually passed up the H&H at about 175 yards on kinetic energy.  This bull was dead from the first shot, the ground was painted in blood, but I always shoot till the critter isn’t moving, so I kept on him.  I would say a maximum of 10-15 seconds elapsed from the first shot to the last.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Never had buffalo. What’s the taste like?

Haven’t had any from this one yet as we’re still working our way home but my cousin raises them so I’ve eaten it a lot.  Tastes like beef but better.  Marbeled like beef. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

I’ve always wanted to try it. Good to know. 

Bashas used to sell it but I haven't seen it in a few years.

43 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

Bashas used to sell it but I haven't seen it in a few years.

Almost all grocers have the farm raised burger but I’ve yet to see any other form except butcher shops.

38 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Almost all grocers have the farm raised burger but I’ve yet to see any other form except butcher shops.

I was just going bunking that. Has to taste different than free ranged. 

52 minutes ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

I was just going bunking that. Has to taste different than free ranged. 

My cousin actually runs a feedlot for bison.  They grain finish them similar to beef.  I have a hunch this bull will be a lot different then the meat I’ve had from him. Still looks incredible though.  We just got home tonight and there’s some thawing in the sink so I’ll have an update likely tomorrow.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

They might have had burger too but I always bought steaks and roasts from them. I have also seen some steaks at Sprouts in the past. I'll ask the butcher at Bashas next time I'm in there.

• Like 1