Sign in to follow this  
clarktar

Mule Deer 33/37B

Don't post much. Mostly read. Finished my AZ hunters Ed after flying in from WA state. Decided to try my hand at Archery Mule deer. 

Mistake 1) thinking I could glass well. Mistake 2) thinking I was sneaky.

Learning alot. Mostly hunting 33 and 37B. I am finding does. But only one buck here one buck there. Very minimal buck sightings. Is this typical for this area, or this hunt in general? I have been fortunate to find one buck a day but am hoping for more opportunities. 

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Enjoying my time in AZ, even though I hate the sun 😆

44 minutes ago, clarktar said:

Don't post much. Mostly read. Finished my AZ hunters Ed after flying in from WA state. Decided to try my hand at Archery Mule deer. 

Mistake 1) thinking I could glass well. Mistake 2) thinking I was sneaky.

Learning alot. Mostly hunting 33 and 37 B near Oracle. I am finding lots and lots of does. Like 50 per day. But only one buck here one buck there. Very minimal buck sightings. Is this typical for this area, or this hunt in general? I have been fortunate to find one buck a day but am hoping for more opportunities. 

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Enjoying my time in AZ, even though I hate the sun 😆

The rut has been slow going for the most part in those and surrounding units. It will get better and better. I would keep going back and checking those does you have been seeing, because a big buck will show up soon. the past few days in 37 have been better each day. seeing anywhere from 3-5 bucks in the 150-160 range per day. No absolute giants yet

Thanks TJ. I would fall over for 3-5 bucks. First legal buck I get an opportunity to harvest I plan to take it. 

Maybe I'll stay put instead of heading north. Appreciate the reply. 

15 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

I've been doing that since the 80s. Now more people. 

I edited my post. Apologize for that information. 

I have seen a handful of people everyday. But they seem to show up late after 8am, and most seem to cruise a few roads. 

2 hours ago, clarktar said:

Do you guys think the pressure (people) in 33/37 is less than what I might find I 22?

I think you’d be making a mistake to switch units.  A lot of guys undermine themselves trying to cover too much ground and/or trying to run away from other hunters.  33 is a high producing deer unit, there’s plenty of coues and muleys there, stay after it.  

just my .02

good luck!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mattys281 said:

I think you’d be making a mistake to switch units.  A lot of guys undermine themselves trying to cover too much ground and/or trying to run away from other hunters.  33 is a high producing deer unit, there’s plenty of coues and muleys there, stay after it.  

just my .02

good luck!

I agree

4 hours ago, clarktar said:

Do you guys think the pressure (people) in 33/37 is less than what I might find I 22?

i would think there would be a lot less pressure in 22. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well I ran up to 22. If anything, nice to see more of AZ. The terrain here (more relief) is more what I am used to. No pressure. Looks like there was some serious flooding. 

Just continue to burn my eyes glassing. 

Look until your eyes pop out, put them back in and start over.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clarktar said:

Well I ran up to 22. If anything, nice to see more of AZ. The terrain here (more relief) is more what I am used to. No pressure. Looks like there was some serious flooding. 

Just continue to burn my eyes glassing. 

I would have stayed in 33

• Like 1