Sign in to follow this  
clarktar

Mule Deer 33/37B

Well, a member on this forum joined me on the 11th. Put on a glassing clinic, and oh man the bucks were moving. Multiple stalks on bigger class bucks (nothing giant, but nice mature bucks). The best day to that point. Really had a great time meeting another member. 

Then the 12th happened. Bucks everywhere! I literally ran myself into the ground, 9 bucks spotted between 7am and 12:30pm. Ended my last stalk on the way to the truck! It was unreal. I have never sprinted across the desert like that. All day, wind sprints. I need diaper cream bad! 

Even though I did not fill my tag, my buddy filled his and I have some great insight on how to prepare for the next round. This was the funnest hunt I have ever been on. I have never stalked like that before, and to get so close so many times. I did let an arrow fly on the 12th, but I was holding low and it went just over the bucks back, I thought I hit him for a brief second. No hair on the broadhead but it was super close (my pin was 80 but he was 74 so I held low). 

Appreciate all the responses, feedback, etc. Really  gem of a hunt. 

Now I need to buy some 12x50's!

• Like 5

On 1/13/2020 at 12:31 PM, bigorange said:

Good ending...love those days when they happen. Any pics or story for your buddy’s buck?

His buck was a small 3 point (barely a three point). Truthfully just walked into that buck in unit 22. It was one of two deer we saw that day in 22. We were working some deep cuts (broken terrain) and it just stood up out of its bed at 70ish yards. Bam. Dead deer. Cut it up, and hiked the 1.5 miles out. 

• Like 3