Sign in to follow this  
Mathews

Be nice. Mosins have survived a long time. King of Findland won an Olympics with one, I believe. Hex receivered Mosin.

4 hours ago, Boarman03 said:

Back 20 years ago they were $50 to $75 all day long. I like them but you have to be careful with closing the bolt with ammo feeding correctly. If you rush or slam the bolt shut, on rare occasion, the bolt can hit the primer if the round is jammed at an angle. Brass casing pieces fly out of the receiver, bolt is slammed backwards breaking the bolt, magazine blown and stretched, and stock typically cracks. Receiver and barrel do not typically get hurt. 

One guy had it by his stomach when he quick slammed the bolt open and then closed, but not. He had to have emergency surgery to remove the brass and repair his belly area, stomach and intestines, etc. Lucky to be alive. I saw the gun and have pictures of it saved some where. The brass was the clue that it never entered into the chamber very much.

Theoretically, I guess it could occur with other Mauser style actions. Hope this helps.

Had a buddy that wanted to use his for cow elk one year. Asked me to sight it in for him, after he had done some work on the bolt. Told him negative, even if he hadn't touched the bolt.

• Haha 1