Sign in to follow this  
maximus

Question about temperature affecting the shot

Hello Guys,

i have a 300 win mag, i'm shooting 210 gr berger vld hunting amd my chart is set up for 4500 feet elevation. 55 degrees (temperature), the speed is 2915 fps, how the temperature would affect the trajectory is is colder like 30 degrees or warmer like 70 degrees?

please let hear some input, probably lancet will chime in with all his knowledge.

Thank you

Depending on the powder used there shouldn't be much if any movement. Elevation difference would be a much bigger concern. 

Not sure exactly what you’re asking but colder temperature brings thicker air. The colder it is, the harder it is for that bullet to slice through it. Same applies to elevation, the higher up you go the thinner the air will become. Run all the scenarios you can come up with and see what the difference is. I’m guessing within 500 yards it won’t show much but anything after that is going to be worse.

210 HVLD @ 2960fps, 4500'AMSL (25.37 BARO)

From 30° to 70° variation, without powder velocity change, you will only see 3.1" difference in drop at 800 yards.  7" difference at 1000 yards.

So, by going with a middle temp, like 50°, you cut your error in half.

Meaning 1.5" @ 800 yards, or 3.5" @ 1000 yards.  800 yards is still "minute of deer", hold center of body and squeeze.  1.5" low at first light, 1.5" high at midday.

30°

Screenshot_20200108-170816_Shooter.thumb.jpg.ce0496557bdba88c81a1a4e6c85cf0f6.jpg

70°

Screenshot_20200108-170842_Shooter.thumb.jpg.a24a40723258b22a72505beb517e97b2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Temperature and local air pressure make up density altitude. Here in the valley I have shot matches in the winter where DA (density altitude) is -150 feet and in the summer have clocked DA of 4800ft. When I run the two different DA's through my Strelok Pro APP using my 270 hunting rifle shooting Hornady 145ELD-X ammo I come up with 3 inch variation at 600 yards and 9 inches of variation at 800 yards. This example is a bit of an extreme but illustrates the issue. A Ballistic App like Strelok Pro will let you put in numbers and see what happens. Standard pressure at 4500 is 25.37, so run DA at 28Deg F and with a higher pressure of say 26.00 and then 72 Deg and pressure of 24.70 when I run that through a online DA calculator you will get 8,300 feet altitude for cold  12,800 feet altitude for the warmer conditions.

• Like 1

I don't think temperature affects the POI very much in most hunting applications.    I normally use 45 degrees as my middle of the road temperature and that will do just fine until you start hitting 800+ yards.   If you are going to shoot past 800 yards then you really need to start learning your dope and most hunters aren't going to shoot that much to actually learn how the environment affects the POI.  

Now I think choosing a powder can have an impact on your velocity with temp changes which will change the POI by enough to matter.   I would make sure to use a powder that isn't temp sensitive.   I literally only use the Hodgdon extreme powders for that reason.    Though I've heard good things about the RL powders too.   

• Like 1