Story of my first deer. (Shortened)

After glassing, and stalking other bucks I eventually found myself at the top of a ridge overlooking a wash filled with cattle. As soon as my eyes focused on a calf I saw the white bottom of a 2 point buck jump behind a bush. I briskly started walking to get even with the buck as I was on top of the ridge and he was in the bottom of a wash. I was using an ultimate predator decoy, a silhouette of a doe that I Velcro on my bow, to hopefully lure in the rutting buck. I chased him from ridge to ridge til eventually I cut him off and waited for him to walk right in to me where the wash ended. Seconds after stopping my movement he emerged from behind a bush at about 65 yards. His eyes immediately locked on me, the doe decoy, and began walking right towards me. I ranged the cactus 17 yards in front of me that he would have to go around. I drew my bow without him noticing because of the decoy. When he approached the cactus he turned broadside to go around it and that’s when I let the arrow fly. The Rage broad head penetrated deeply into his vitals from what I could tell at the moment. Instantly blood spurted out of him and he took off down the wash he came from. After waiting an hour I started tracking. After finding little to no blood I eventually made my way back up the wash where I thought he was. I found a large puddle of blood and 10 feet farther there he was; crashed in the wash. I had finally killed my first buck and it was an archery otc hunt. It took a lot of hard days, sleepless nights, and practice to get it done but I did it. Super happy for my first buck. He’s not a monster but for my first deer I can’t complain. Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice. I couldn’t have done it without y’all.  

97CDE501-6DFB-4EB8-BC46-FFBFD2641130.jpeg

86A5E452-66A9-4BE9-8EB5-6D2F8659E263.jpeg

268C4D93-54F1-4BC6-BF0B-54917AD5CB7D.jpeg

• Like 31

Great job youngster! Bow hunting is challenging and I tip my hat to all those who have the patience for it.

• Like 1

Right on, that’s one to be proud of!

I’m 52 and this year is my first taste of DIY OTC archery (or any archery hunting for that matter)!

• Like 2

Way to go man that's awesome.  Looks like the rage did the job. How far did he go from where you shot him. 

Btw, be careful with those havelon knives. I recomend getting a pair of cut resistant gloves off amazon to keep in your kill kit.