roninflag

horses in elk unit

1 hour ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

Cattle were brought in. Horses were here first traveling through and ended here. 

You're honestly ridiculous. Horses were not in the Americas until the Spaniards brought them over. They are 100% feral and have no place on the landscape whether you like it or not. 

• Like 12

Guess I will chime in.  Let’s get some facts straight. First I’m a horse lover and owner but don’t believe feral horses serve any purpose.

1- horses are mono gastric and very in efficient in using what they eat compared to cattle Cattle have 4 chambered stomach much more efficient .  Takes way more country to run the same number of horses than cattle. Horses are harder on habitat for this reason.

2 horse were brought here by Europeans, no such thing as a native horse.

3 feral horses are ruining tons of public land in Utah, AZ, Nevada, and NM.

4 Lions will and do eat feral horses.  NM had a collared lion that pretty much lived on feral horses.

5 Any populations of unregulated animal will eventually destroy there habitat then the populations will crash and start cycle over again.

6 Since horses settled the west( really was mules) Americans have the fantasy that they can’t be eaten.  Had an old timer try Oryx meat and he said it tasted a lot like horse.  Oryx is delicious for those who haven’t had any.

7 Best thing that could happen if the killer market came back the the wild horses could be put to good use.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

In 3c we rarely if ever, that i remember, saw horses until after the Rodeo Chediski fires.  We have a house there and spend a lot of time there. They are everywhere now and all have babies with them.  It don't take a biologist to figure out that this issue needs to be addressed in this area. 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

The economy is booming right now dude from Trump so we won’t have to worry about eating them. Make sure your still on track to vote for Bernie. 

Ya bud we are gonna have a conservative president from now until the end of time. And soon everyone will all get elk tags and shoot wallhangers. Thanks for pointing out my political ignorance. What was i thinking that every other president is statistically from the opposite party. The world is becoming such a better place full of pro American values! Gotta go style my manbun and smoke unicorn sperm out of my douche flute. Talk at you later.

21 hours ago, azbirdhunter88 said:

The horses were here before all you guys. If you can’t hunt around them and be successful then get a new hobby. Quit being puss*** and deal with it. 

NO. 

• Like 3

On 1/12/2020 at 3:50 PM, Northern Pintail said:

You’re right they shouldn’t be there in those numbers but that’s not the reason tags in 3c have been cut.  Talk to the wildlife manager and he wants an older age class of bulls.  Might want to get the truth making things up

Northern - I did not say a reason. 

Wild horse population is growing exponentially in unit 27. Don't recall seeing them pre-2000. Getting to be a big problem requiring attention soon. Wish the wolf reintroduction resources would start feeding the wolves horse meat instead of elk meat!! Would address two issues with one solution.

• Love 1

Virtually all of the horses that are being discussed in this topic, are off the the different Indian reservations, they are simply feral Indian horses, many you can still see Indian brands on them. I was involved in catching one of the last bands of true Spanish mustangs in this state 60 years ago, and they were truly wild, if they winded you or saw you a mile away they were gone

• Like 4

12 hours ago, roninflag said:

the horses do not belong there. my nephew and I went hunting for predators only. that is all we harvested. I wish those that wish to save the horses do that. 

thumbnail_IMG_3251[2].jpg

What is he holding up?

• Like 1

I heard on the radio this morning that there is a plan to install a few miles of fencing on the Lower Salt on account of the horses.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 6:39 PM, azbirdhunter88 said:

Yes and my horses. Cattle eat grass, trees, and weeds. Horses won’t touch weeds. Cattle are way harder on the land dude. 

Hey, azbirdhunter88 I know livestock as well and I hate to burst your bubble but horses are harder on the landscape than cattle. muledeerarea33 is right. If you put a horse in a corral with nothing to eat but a mesquite tree, it would eat that tree down to the stump before it starved. Put a cow in the same corral and it will starve before it eats the tree (other than the leaves). They are harder on the landscape.

Take a look down by the Salt River and try to find a mesquite bean lower than a horses head (can't). Try and find a decent group of Mule Deer down there (can't).  Horses have pushed them out........This was not the case 5-10 years ago. Those Feral REZ Pony's need to GO.

Horses are nonnative they were brought by the Spaniards

• Like 4