roninflag

horses in elk unit

"4 Lions will and do eat feral horses.  NM had a collared lion that pretty much lived on feral horses. "

Where can we get a dozen of these collared lions?   A couple three up in unit 3 to take care of the horses, unless  AZBH88  doesnt think natural predation is humane, , and then  the rest behind Lake Pleasant to eat the dang donkeys would be a good start.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

"4 Lions will and do eat feral horses.  NM had a collared lion that pretty much lived on feral horses. "

Where can we get a dozen of these collared lions?   A couple three up in unit 3 to take care of the horses, unless  AZBH88  doesnt think natural predation is humane, , and then  the rest behind Lake Pleasant to eat the dang donkeys would be a good start.

Put a few in 16A while your at it. Just tell them to leave the sheep alone.

Man, this topic went south fast! Love it! I am a horse owner and grew up in a ranching family and I HATE the feral horse plague. Cattle are regulated. When a cow escapes, the rancher loses money. Does it still happen? Yes. There are a lot of people that make money rounding up rogue cattle and selling them because the have monetary value. Horses are not native, plain and simple. AZBH88, do you shed a tear when you see people mowing down herds of FERAL hogs? If horses looked like hogs, nobody would blink an eye if they were shot

• Like 12

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Better body count than what I had originally  read, I had saw  only 8 dead.  Someone's doing good up there!  7 points in the Bonus Round!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, PRDATR said:

I heard on the radio this morning that there is a plan to install a few miles of fencing on the Lower Salt on account of the horses.

I saw a post on the Go Gilbert facebook page this morning that showed the fence installed already. Dont know much about it.

6 hours ago, PRDATR said:

What is he holding up?

PRDATR- a Gray Fox I called in. the thing was SHAQ Fox. maybe 20 pounds easily twice as heavy as any I have held. we spent a day and half in an adjacent unit . I was up there.  I do not like the horses there . I did not shoot any. Ron

thumbnail_IMG_3256[1].jpg

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 5:46 PM, Roosevelt Mark said:

I have  said it before. Feed them to the inmates in the state prisons. Win win for everyone.

Roosevelt Mark. Brilliant. I like it

On 1/12/2020 at 6:36 PM, azbirdhunter88 said:

Cattle were brought in here and are invasive species. Horses traveled here if your curious. 

NO. they have escaped the rez. they belong to no one. cattle belong to someone and are controlled

• Like 2

On 1/12/2020 at 7:10 PM, azbirdhunter88 said:

If you did you’d understand my point and done research to know they aren’t invasive and were here first. 

I hunted those units for years and am old; I had never seen  a single horse without a brand. ever. until after the fire. recent.  the ones in unit  3 escaped the rez.  they are the same as Eurasian ringnecks . invasive. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 11:39 AM, Alpinebullwinkle said:

Wild horse population is growing exponentially in unit 27. Don't recall seeing them pre-2000. Getting to be a big problem requiring attention soon. Wish the wolf reintroduction resources would start feeding the wolves horse meat instead of elk meat!! Would address two issues with one solution.

ALPINE- I was in unit 27 quite a bit this year . I did not see a feral horse. those poor wolves can't kill anything .  confessing, this knowledge could tempt me. I saw a lot in unit 3.