AZBull

Which scope?

If you could pick...either a 

Burris xtr-II 5-25x50 with the SCR MIL reticle or a 

Bushnell DMR-II Pro 3.5-21x50 with the G3 reticle

Im curious to know if anyone has any real world experience with these scopes. I can get the Burris for about $300 cheaper then the Bushnell. I’ve never been able to compare them side by side. They both look great to me but I don’t have any experience with either of them...other than just looking through them. They are both MIL/MIL scopes and FFP. Just trying to decide which one to get. Any advice or knowledge on them would be appreciated. Thanks

PS I’m planning on putting it on my 300WM that’s used primarily for hunting but I want to start shooting steel past 1000 with it this year. 

What is your budget?

2 hours ago, AZBull said:

If you could pick...either a 

Burris xtr-II 5-25x50 with the SCR MIL reticle or a 

Bushnell DMR-II Pro 3.5-21x50 with the G3 reticle

Im curious to know if anyone has any real world experience with these scopes. I can get the Burris for about $300 cheaper then the Bushnell. I’ve never been able to compare them side by side. They both look great to me but I don’t have any experience with either of them...other than just looking through them. They are both MIL/MIL scopes and FFP. Just trying to decide which one to get. Any advice or knowledge on them would be appreciated. Thanks

PS I’m planning on putting it on my 300WM that’s used primarily for hunting but I want to start shooting steel past 1000 with it this year. 

I dont have direct experience with either, but I have started running a couple Burris Veracity 3x15x50 scopes and really like them. The Veracity is a similar scope with more hunting features and less LR/tactical features. 

I have 2 of them, and we just mounted 1 for my dad on Sunday. We have yet to shoot his, but my 2 have been good. 

Cheap bushnell sucks, but I know there higher end stuff is supposed to be good. Either scope will probably do well for you, pick which feels best and has the best glass to your eye. 

My Veracity is better than my Vortex HSLR in terms of clarity. 

1 hour ago, AZBull said:

Trying to keep it at $1500 or less

A buddy uses the veracity he raves about it. 

For a ffp it’s a great choice. If you were interested in a sfp I think you could get into a “better” (more durable) hunting scope. I’m a nf fan. For the bumps and knocks a hunting rifle takes during the course of business I trust it the most. 

There is a nightforce SHV FFP in your price range. I have looked at it in the past. A $1500 budget leaves you lots and lots of options. Leupold VX-5 and maybe some VX-6. 

Used higher end Vortex maybe, etc.

5 minutes ago, Hoss50 said:

There is a nightforce SHV FFP in your price range. I have looked at it in the past. A $1500 budget leaves you lots and lots of options. Leupold VX-5 and maybe some VX-6. 

Used higher end Vortex maybe, etc.

Yep, I’ve seen a few nsx’s real close to 1500 used. Also there are several companies that give deep discounts to first responder types that get real close to your budget too. I’d avoid vortex, personally. I haven’t handled any VX 5 or 6 but they get great reviews.

I really want to stay with a FFP scope and have a decent reticle. I can get a deal on the Leupold scopes but nothing for Nightforce...they are pretty pricey but I’m sure they’re worth their money. I might just have to save some money and pull the trigger on a Nightforce. 

I have a veracity on my AR-10.  Decent scope for the money.  Functions great, turrets are good.  Scope itself is fairly large and lacking in the clarity  in my opinion.  When comparing it to a few other scopes I have (leupold, Zeiss, swaro)  it is pretty far behind when you dial up the power.  At lower power I am happy with it but once you zoom it in, the clarity diminishes.  Good scope for the money, but with a budget of $1500.00, I would get something else.  Plenty of scopes are less than $1500.00 and are better.  Nightforce, Zeiss come to mind.  

2 hours ago, AZBull said:

I really want to stay with a FFP scope and have a decent reticle. I can get a deal on the Leupold scopes but nothing for Nightforce...they are pretty pricey but I’m sure they’re worth their money. I might just have to save some money and pull the trigger on a Nightforce. 

I just bought a leupold 5-25x mark 5HD. I havnt mounted it yet but it sure seems impressive.  I might have to upgrade my VX5s and VX6s. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMACFIVE said:

I just bought a leupold 5-25x mark 5HD. I havnt mounted it yet but it sure seems impressive.  I might have to upgrade my VX5s and VX6s. 

I’ve been looking at that one too. Seems like a lot of scope for the price. It would be nice to get a side by side comparison of all the upper end scopes. 

42 minutes ago, oz31p said:

I sent you a pm with a link to euro optics. 1600 for a nsx c505

Thanks OZ

The SCR is a great reticle.  .2 MIL subtensions are fantastic for accurate wind holds.  But, for $1500, I would look at a used Steiner T5Xi upgrade over the Burris XTRII.  5-25×56 or even the 3-15×50.  Unless you plan on shooting tiny targets at 1500, a 3-15 is plenty.  I was shooting out to 1558 with some 3-15 & 3.5-18x scopes this weekend and was not underpowered.  Especially for a hunting rifle.

If you want to stick with FFP, do so.  All I shoot is FFP.  But that leaves out a lot of suggestions here.

Look around on LRH & Snipershide for some amazing used optics in your price range.  You can find a LOT of better scopes in your price range that way.  I have purchased 6 or 7 used scopes with zero issues for about 55-75% of their new prices.

• Like 2