Coues Archer

Big Coues Buck Hit! Need help....

Hello my fellow coues experts. I had a question regarding a coues buck I recently shot. He was 73 yards and I shot him what looked like to be behind his arm pit. As soon as the arrow hit him he bucked and took off like a bat out of heck!!! Seen the arrow stick out of his cavity as he went on a strait death run. I seen him crash in some brush about 200 yards away. I got so happy because I thought it was a wrap! I gave him an hour before I started tracking, But I didn’t feel good so I backed out and came back in the morning. The blood trail was sparse as it gave decent drops of blood about every 5 yards or so. Once the trail got about 250 it virtually stopped completely. Below is a picture of some of the aftermath that was left from where I last saw him fall. From the picture below can you guys tell me where exactly I hit this buck? 

7C637E90-E288-4778-803C-6B8C2B9E2AAC.jpeg

It looks like you may have clipped one lung, perhaps the front based on your armpit feeling. I've never shot 73 yards or know your setup but my 40 yard and under vital shots have all been pass throughs, all a guess but maybe even a shot that stuck in the opposite shoulder then puncturing a lung when he took off. There is some evidence (to me) of oxygenated blood in that pile.

The last time I saw a single lung hit on a quartering shot we tracked him in a right-handed horseshoe for about 600 yards thanks to the snow. My partner and I couldn't have imagined he made it past that first 200 yard bed but he did, 4 more beds and lots of blood later. Good luck, these critters are tough but these posts suck.

Coues_Bloodtrail.thumb.jpg.32ba9fd9e603bfd1493f7407b85133a3.jpg 

Yeah definitely looks like lung blood. Good luck finding him! I know from experience, they can go a LONG way and lose a lot of blood before they die. I sure hope we get to see some pictures of him on the ground.

Wouldn’t say concentrate but I’d for sure be there and at any other water sources looking for blood or tracks that look like it’s dragging a leg. The rain may wash away all your hopes and dreams if it goes thru the night.