Coues Archer

Big Coues Buck Hit! Need help....

Too far of  shot can lead in dramatic loss of energy and arrow wobble, reducing penetration as well, not just placement.  I keep hearing about these 70+ yards shots or petty fair distance but one I"ve practiced, but I can't find my deer/elk etc.  

And then find dear animal a week later.. horns are good, but wasted meat..  

I had a similar situation many years ago.

In my case I hit the near side shoulder blade. My situation was very similar to this.

I hit him at last light. After following a similar blood trail by flashlight I backed off and returned at daylight.

Trailed him to a bed, where I jumped him, about 200 yrs from the initial hit.

The bed looked identical to yours. What I see here is clotting type blood.

Anyhow, spent another 5 hours gridding and searching but did not recover the deer.

If you don't find him, take comfort that the hit may not be fatal.

The bone ridge at the back of the shoulder blade is virtually impenetrable.

For what its worth, my hit was at 20yds using a 125 grain thunderhead out of a 62 lb compound bow.

You are doing the right thing. Doing your best to recover him.

• Like 4

I also thought of the single lung hit possibility.  What broadhead were you using? Did you verify yourself they were razor sharp? 

I believe I've made the mistake of using full broadhead in the past.  Ever poked your finger through some real stretchy stuff? The hole closes tight when you pull your finger out.  I believe the same exact thing happens with a dull broadhead.  I'm not saying this is your scenario, but either way I hope you find your buck. 

5 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

I also thought of the single lung hit possibility.  What broadhead were you using? Did you verify yourself they were razor sharp? 

I believe I've made the mistake of using full broadhead in the past.  Ever poked your finger through some real stretchy stuff? The hole closes tight when you pull your finger out.  I believe the same exact thing happens with a dull broadhead.  I'm not saying this is your scenario, but either way I hope you find your buck. 

What you been sticking them fingers in?😫

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 5guyshunting said:

What you been sticking them fingers in?😫

You once called me a sick puppy. Here I was talking about my kids super stretchy squish toys. Ya sick bastard.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

You once called me a sick puppy. Here I was talking about my kids super stretchy squish toys. Ya sick bastard.

Just your fingers I hope. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, oldwhitetail hunter said:

I had a similar situation many years ago.

In my case I hit the near side shoulder blade. My situation was very similar to this.

I hit him at last light. After following a similar blood trail by flashlight I backed off and returned at daylight.

Trailed him to a bed, where I jumped him, about 200 yrs from the initial hit.

The bed looked identical to yours. What I see here is clotting type blood.

Anyhow, spent another 5 hours gridding and searching but did not recover the deer.

If you don't find him, take comfort that the hit may not be fatal.

The bone ridge at the back of the shoulder blade is virtually impenetrable.

For what its worth, my hit was at 20yds using a 125 grain thunderhead out of a 62 lb compound bow.

You are doing the right thing. Doing your best to recover him.

Oldwhitetail hunter what you explained here is exactly my scenario. But yes I’m trying my absolute best to recover this deer. Hopefully I’ll be able to tag him🤙🏽 Thanks for the advice man.

2 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

So I personally believe I hit one lung just by his body language. I’ve killed many bucks and the lethal boiler room shots always yield a buck running like a bat out of heck! As for my Broadhead it’s a swhacker. Not more than a week old broadhead .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Go to the closest water and try to find blood. If it made it that far.

+1.  Loss of blood such as this will cause game to feel the sensation of dehydration/thirst, and subsequently head to water.  Best of luck to you.  You mentioned Shwacker, what grain and what is the draw weight of your bow, just curious?

get a bottle of hydrogen peroxide if you can, with a spray attachment, and start spraying just past last blood.  the stuff will bubble like no other when it hits organic material, so micro drops of blood can easily be seen.  

also consider the possibility that some other hunter picked him up, or a bear or lion absconded with him.   with that blood, he is deader than dead.  What unit you in, if you don't mind me asking.  

• Like 2

Hey how come Del hasn't been here to tell us all about this one time and a deer he shot and what he did and how we need to do it from now on? 

Hope you find him. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, bojangles said:

get a bottle of hydrogen peroxide if you can, with a spray attachment, and start spraying just past last blood.  the stuff will bubble like no other when it hits organic material, so micro drops of blood can easily be seen.  

also consider the possibility that some other hunter picked him up, or a bear or lion absconded with him.   with that blood, he is deader than dead.  What unit you in, if you don't mind me asking.  

I have never heard of doing this but it makes perfect sense