Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

I have been........preoccupied!!!!!

Cole started off with some rough patches knee injury included but has bounced back.........went to Gunnison last weekend where he went 3-1 then last night he brought the house down!!!!

Javelina hunting next weekend with my grandson and my phone connected to the Kearny Midwest Duals!!!

https://gomountaineers.com/news/2020/1/16/WRST16Jan2020.aspx

ALAMOSA, Colo. --- Last season, the rivalry wrestling dual of Western Colorado and Adams State came down to the final match of the night with the Mountaineers picking up the win via a pin in Gunnison.

This season, not so much.

The No. 23 Mountaineers won six of 10 matches – including three pins and two tech falls – as they made it seven wins in a row over No. 11 Adams State with a 31-12 victory Thursday night at Plachy Hall.

WCU (7-4 overall, 2-0 RMAC), the defending RMAC champs, picked up pins from Cole Mortensen at 157 pounds (1:40), No. 12 Ruger Wyneken at 184 pounds (2:34) and Sammy deSeriere (1:47) while getting tech falls from No. 3 Patrick Allis (16-1) at 125 pounds and Hunter Mullin (21-5) at 174 pounds to get big points for the Mountaineers. Michael Thelen just missed getting a major decision win for WCU at 165, beating ASU's Gavin Davy 7-1.

Maybe even more key was the WCU wrestlers keeping it close against Adams State's (2-2, 1-1)  three high-ranked wrestlers as Cody Fatzinger fell to No. 3 Jonathan Andretta 8-2 at 133 pounds, Jason Hanenberg lost a 3-2 decision to No. 3 Noah Hermosillo and Giovanni Cassioppi fell to No. 6 Josiah Rider 6-0 – totaling just nine team points for the Grizzlies.

The match of the night was at 157 pounds as the freshman Mortensen appeared he was going to be pinned within the first minute against ASU's Ryan Rochford before fighting it off, picking up a reversal and pinning Rochford at the 1:40 mark in the first period.

The Mountaineers are now 48-35-1 all-time against the Grizzlies.

Up next for WCU is the Midwest Duals in Kearney, Nebraska, on Jan. 25.

#23 Western Colorado 31, #11 Adams State 12
125: Patrick Allis (WCU) over Isaiah DeLaCerda (ASC) (TF 16-1 5:00) 133: Jonathan Andreatta (ASC) over Cody Fatzinger (WCU) (Dec 8-2) 141: Noah Hermosillo (ASC) over Jason Hanenberg (WCU) (Dec 3-2) 149: Josiah Rider (ASC) over Giovanni Cassioppi (WCU) (Dec 6-0) 157: Cole Mortensen (WCU) over Ryan Rochford (ASC) (Fall 1:40) 165: Michael Thelen (WCU) over Gavin Davy (ASC) (Dec 7-1) 174: Hunter Mullin (WCU) over Natrelle Demison (ASC) (TF 21-5 5:59) 184: Ruger Wyneken (WCU) over William Tyler (ASC) (Fall 2:34) 197: Cole Gustavson (ASC) over Espen Weber (WCU) (Dec 12-6) 285: Sammy deSeriere (WCU) over Sylvester Montgomery (ASC) (Fall 1:47)

Mortensen

• Like 8

Thats awesome! I hope you can find a way to go to as many matches as you can. My son wrestled and they leave everything they have out there on the mat. When it was all over we really missed it.

Sell the house, quit the job, bring in a substitute for a few days. Enjoy these days and congratulations to Cole! Wrestling at his level is fantastic.

• Like 1