az_runner

Arizona Conservation area(s)

So, I’m looking at an area on the other side of a Conservation, but will have to hike about 2 miles to get through the Conservation and onto National Forest dirt. Do you guys know of any Arizona laws about traveling through conservation land to harvest game?

I can’t find anything in the Arizona regs about this. I don’t see this as being an issue besides the fact that some bird watchers may not be too pleased of me hiking past them with a bow or rifle. If it’s legal, l I plan to get to the area before sunrise and try to make it through before people start hitting the trails... the hike out will be a different story.

2 hours ago, az_runner said:

So, I’m looking at an area on the other side of a Conservation, but will have to hike about 2 miles to get through the Conservation and onto National Forest dirt. Do you guys know of any Arizona laws about traveling through conservation land to harvest game?

I can’t find anything in the Arizona regs about this. I don’t see this as being an issue besides the fact that some bird watchers may not be too pleased of me hiking past them with a bow or rifle. If it’s legal, l I plan to get to the area before sunrise and try to make it through before people start hitting the trails... the hike out will be a different story.

What kind of designated conservation land? 

Not too sure what it's designated as, says no hunting, shooting and is mainly a huge area of hiking trails. I may just buzz BLM and maybe the unit manager at AZGF just to make sure. 

52 minutes ago, az_runner said:

Not too sure what it's designated as, says no hunting, shooting and is mainly a huge area of hiking trails. I may just buzz BLM and maybe the unit manager at AZGF just to make sure. 

Most all BLM conservation areas in AZ are open to hunting. Sounds more like it's a recreation area or park such as South Mountain, etc. Isn't there any agency name on the  signs? And yeah, the unit manager would be a good source to contact. 

1 minute ago, az_runner said:

OnX shows as AZ Government land owned by Maricopa. Once you hike the two miles through it's N Forest land. 

Does the no shooting, no trespassing sign have state trust on it anywhere?

2 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

If you have the onX app it will tell you what type on land it is. If you pm me the area I’ll look it up for you. And no I don’t wanna steal your spot! Lol

Thanks for sending me those waypoints Danny Boy!

On 1/18/2020 at 6:04 PM, az_runner said:

OnX shows as AZ Government land owned by Maricopa. Once you hike the two miles through it's N Forest land. 

Sounds like it's a Maricopa County Park. If so, here's some relevant info:

From Maricopa County FAQ list:

Q: Can I access the Tonto National Forest via Maricopa County Parks? 
A: Yes. Within Spur Cross Ranch Conservation Area, Spur Cross Trail / SR Trails; within Usery Mountain Regional Park, the Wind Cave Trail can be used for non-motorized access to the Tonto National Forest. If you plan to hike north on the forest, you should leave a responsible person aware of your hiking plans. A compass and map for the area is recommended for all hikers.

Q: Is hunting allowed in Maricopa County Parks? 
A: Yes. Some of the parks within the system allow hunting during specified seasons. Contact the ArizonaGame and Fish Department for all hunting information. 602-942-3000.

This below is from pg. 42 of the CURRENT AGFD deer regs:

29. The following parks and preserves in Maricopa County are open to hunting as defined in R12-4-321 and are open for the archery-only seasons: Lake Pleasant, White Tank Mountains, Estrella Mountain and McDowell Mountain Regional parks; McDowell Sonoran Preserve; and portions of Skyline Regional Park (Back Country designated area only – contact the Arizona Game and Fish Department’s Mesa Regional office or City of Buckeye for open area maps). Hunting in parks and preserves opened by this Commission Order is not permitted within ¼ mile of any developed picnic area, developed camp ground, shooting range, occupied building, boat ramp, or golf course. Developed areas do not include trails.

From pg. 98:

Maricopa County Parks: Some land within the Maricopa County Park System is open to hunting. Discharge of firearms or arrows is prohibited in Cave Creek Recreation Area. Contact the Maricopa County Parks Department at 602-506-2930 for further details. Additional information may also be obtained by contacting the following parks (see R12-4-321, page 131): • McDowell 480-471-0173 • White Tanks 623-935-2505 • Estrella 623-932-3811 • Lake Pleasant 928-501-1710 or 602-372-7460