az_runner

Youth Rifle Recommendations for Big Game

Thanks man.

I have a Tikka T3 in a 7mag that I went through 4 boxes of different ammo and found the Hornady Precision Hunter to be what the rifle likes best, you would know it's the most expensive crap on the shelf. Right away, I went to that same box for this 7mm-8 and it does not like it at all... I'm kind of happy in a way. I ordered a few boxes for the next time I can get it to the range.

Federal Premium Vital-Shok
Remington Core-Lokt
Nosler Trophy Grade

I almost grabbed a box of that Whitetale and the Barnes too over the Nosler. If things don't land where I want them to I'll circle back to those.

the 7-08 might be the most under rated cartridge out there.

Love,

lark

• Haha 1

For what you've spent on factory ammo you could be reloading.

I did the same thing for years. 1000's of dollars later I finally saw the light.

just bought my 10 year old daughter thetikka t3x compact 7mm-08 looks like a great gun, bought my son a weatherby vanguard 7mm-08 and that gun is a tack driver.

Just sayin there is a dang good deal on a Savage mdl10 243 on here for a good price. The gun should shoot well I own one and love it!

On 1/18/2020 at 8:32 AM, longshooter said:

I recently picked up my 11 year old daughter a cheap Savage model 11 youth rifle in 7mm-08. Got some hornady reduced recoil loads in 120 grain sst.

Properly broke in the barrel and this thing shoots lights out with factory loads and is very easy for her to shoot. 

After doing research for her a rifle I figured the 7mm-08 is hard to beat for a youth caliber due to being able to shoot a 120 grain reduced recoil up to a 180 grain bullet. 

This is the same set up I bought my son at that age.  At the time it came set up on a youth stock and came with an additional adult stock, so you could switch over when he got big enough.  Swapped over when he was 15 and it worked out great.  He has used it for javelina, antelope and several cow elk.  I highly recommend it.  I also made sure to break in the barrel and it's shoots great.

On 2/29/2020 at 3:16 PM, az_runner said:

I did end up getting the kid a Tikka compact in a 7mm-08. Unlike myself, he landed a cow tag this year. I just need to find the right box of over-priced ammo for this thing now.

Federal P708A ammo.   Son has taken three cows the last three years with this ammo.  All dropped within 20 yards of where he hit them.

That Federal seems to be the winner. We'll start hitting the range a few times a month up until the hunt. Just found out that he got youth cow in 7W, so now to teach him what boots on the ground mean and learning the area.

On a side note:  I took the kid to the range to get it sighted in we weren't even on paper. There was a guy next to us shooting an AR that I later found out to be some type of MCSO firearms instructor. He saw us struggling a bit and offered to help. The guy spent probably an hour+ of his time with us sitting bench-side showing us tricks and suggestions that I still had no clue of. I couldn't believe what I learned from the guy and how interactive he was with my son... it's just not often you meet people like this. I always stress to my boys the huge amount of respect that they should have for these LE folks (just like military), but this guy set the bar off the charts and my son may even have a new "when I grow up" path! I would be all so pleased to have my kid out there risking his a$$ each day based on this one experience from a guy that we randomly met. Hopefully is recognizes  my red eyes each morning from 12-16hrs days and knows better not to get in the FN computer world. Well enough crying, but there are still some awesome a$$ folks out there.

I'll shut up now...

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, az_runner said:

That Federal seems to be the winner. We'll start hitting the range a few times a month up until the hunt. Just found out that he got youth cow in 7W, so now to teach him what boots on the ground mean and learning the area.

On a side note:  I took the kid to the range to get it sighted in we weren't even on paper. There was a guy next to us shooting an AR that I later found out to be some type of MCSO firearms instructor. He saw us struggling a bit and offered to help. The guy spent probably an hour+ of his time with us sitting bench-side showing us tricks and suggestions that I still had no clue of. I couldn't believe what I learned from the guy and how interactive he was with my son... it's just not often you meet people like this. I always stress to my boys the huge amount of respect that they should have for these LE folks (just like military), but this guy set the bar off the charts and my son may even have a new "when I grow up" path! I would be all so pleased to have my kid out there risking his a$$ each day based on this one experience from a guy that we randomly met. Hopefully is recognizes  my red eyes each morning from 12-16hrs days and knows better not to get in the FN computer world. Well enough crying, but there are still some awesome a$$ folks out there.

I'll shut up now...

That is a good story and what a nice man he was.

Was this at Avery or Cowtown?

Eddie

Both my grandsons pulled youth cow tags this year.

I just bought the oldest, 12 years old, a left handed  Tikka superlite  6.5 Creedmore. I would have bought the same rifle in 7-08 if it had been available.

The youngest just turned 10 and will use his mothers Rem 700 youth model in 7-08.  She shoots both the 120 Barnes TTXS and the 120 BT and has taken both elk and deer with these.

Both of these calibers offer low recoil, a great variety of bullet types including Lite loads for practice, and easily reach 300-400 yards.

It's going to be a fun fall in AZ.

• Like 1