Sign in to follow this  
Delw

WMR8 Winchester magnum rifle powder Lance?

Any of you guys heard of this stuff. I bought 8lbs when it 1st came out as some friends were using it and loved it. Been sitting in one of my safes since. Cant find any loading data on it. It came out with a sheet of loads and so far I havent been able to turn up that sheet. its a slow burning powder.

Figured some of you older guys or lance might have heard of it or used it. back in the day.

Thanks

From what I gather Winchester discontinued it, for some reason they had trouble with their slow burning ball powders. Supposed to burn between RL-19 and RL-22, and there is supposed to be some load data for it in Nosler number 4 manual, which I have at the house and I'm at work right now. What caliber were you looking for data for?

Thanks, I'll see if I have a nosler number 4. I have a bunch of books but think I am missing that year class so to speak when that powder came out.

I'm looking for what it can be used in I have like 20 cals I load. 

.416 rigby .300 winmag 7mm remington mag are the main ones and 45-70.

I found this pdf this am. looks liek it can be used in the .243 but dang the pressures ar HIGH 56K I thought I saw.

Basically I got 8lbs in sealed container I want to burn LOL

Thanks again

Winchester1997.pdf

WMR 8 (Winchester Magnum Rifle-8#)

Between RL19 & RL22 or H4831 & H1000.  

Use a magnum primer with ball powder.  

I bet you could sell it for more than you paid for it.  Discontinued powders in sealed cans can be valuable to the right person.

http://stevespages.com/308_7.html

Mix it with some potting soil and plant roses and tomatoes. There were a few problems with it so it was taken off the market for a reason. It's not worth it. Who know how stable it really is now after all these years.

If powder is stored properly it will last a long time. When you take the cap off and if it still has an either smell and the powder doesn't have a brown rust type dust to it, it will still be usable. I have some that I bought before 1978 and I dip into it occasionally.

2 hours ago, PRDATR said:

Mix it with some potting soil and plant roses and tomatoes. There were a few problems with it so it was taken off the market for a reason. It's not worth it. Who know how stable it really is now after all these years.

I am curious why it was discontinued, might make a call this week to winchester to find out.

Read below he's right on.

1 hour ago, 10Turkeys said:

If powder is stored properly it will last a long time. When you take the cap off and if it still has an either smell and the powder doesn't have a brown rust type dust to it, it will still be usable. I have some that I bought before 1978 and I dip into it occasionally.

When we were in Japan we used to buy huge amounts of 700x for shotguns as both dad and I shot tournament trap and skeet. we left in 76/77 dad shipped about 20 kegs back with our household goods.

we shot that powder here in the states up until the late 90's.

Delw

6 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

WMR 8 (Winchester Magnum Rifle-8#)

Between RL19 & RL22 or H4831 & H1000.  

Use a magnum primer with ball powder.  

I bet you could sell it for more than you paid for it.  Discontinued powders in sealed cans can be valuable to the right person.

http://stevespages.com/308_7.html

20 minutes ago, 10Turkeys said:

The Nosler number 4 had data for the .300 Win Mag.

0120201859b~2.jpg

0120201859a~2.jpg

0120201859~2.jpg

Thanks for the link and Pages always like 2 sources for load data,

have either one of you guys ever used this powder? thoughts?

Never used it and I don't know anyone that has. By the timeline it was discontinued I would say it was before Winchester Powders was swallowed up by Hodgdon. I read something that said Winchester discontinued it because they were using all the powder in the WSM cartridges, but I don't know.

I have old powder cans from the mid 90's and never had a problem with loading it. 

Thanks

Yeah I forgot powder companies changed alot in 10 years I haven't loaded but maybe 2 times in 8-10 years. Now that my BIL comes here very weekend to shoot Since my Daughter is still in pensicola, figured I would start loading and start shooting again.

who has the best deals on nosler ballistic tips all cal. usually buy 500 to 1000 at a time, ran out of 6mm's today

I'm pretty set in 6mm and 224 cal Bergers and 270 and 25cal ballistic tips , found all these when I cleaned off the table in the back Garage ;)

bts.jpg

bergers.jpg

Have used this powder to fire from 308 Norma mag cases. Hot powder and very temp sensitive. Approach max loads with caution can get pressure spikes real quick. Especially as the ambient temperatures start to climb. But can get good velocities out of it in 300 mag.

• Like 2