CanyonCountry

Backpacking Sleeping bag recommendations

As new bags continue to come out, I am looking to get some recommendations from you all on what you might have.  I am looking at 15-20 degree bags, mostly for Arizona backpack hunting and curious to hear pros and cons.  With so many companies "depending on pricing too" like Big Agnes, Klymit, Western Mountaineering, KUIU, Stone Glacier etc., its hard to find really good all around reviews, especially from hunters.  Any input would be great!  Thanks!

You may want to look at quilts also. I have a Enlightened Equipment Revelation down quilt and love it. I use it with a Thermarest Neo Air sleeping pad. Light weight combo. The quilt is pricey but it’s light weight, packs small & is warm (depending on the temps). 

Check out Rokslide and Bowsite for reviews from some hardcore hunters.  Its hard to beat a Western Mountaineering bag based on the reviews I've seen.  They have semi-rectangular bags which lots of people like if a mummy bag is too constricting.  Marmot Helium is also a good bag in the range you are looking for.  Seeing good reviews for Nemo too.  I have a North Face synthetic bag that has held up very well but its big and heavy, but reliable.  Its a Goliath 3D, but they don't make it anymore.

My partner just picked up the nemo 20 or 15 down bag and used it in 28 degree weather and said it was workable but he did get cold at times. I use a slumberjack cheap mummy bag in 15 degree and had about the same sleep nights. I may hit the marmot helium 0 for my next one. My 0 bag is 5 lbs but it's good easily to 0 ,,, I believe it's the cabelas xpg 

I have a big Agnes lost ranger 15. It weighs 3,5 lbs in the long version, so it’s not super light. But I’ve had it in the teens and been cozy, and most importantly it’s roomy, I can roll around in it or sleep on my side knees bent. It’s relatively cheap compared to a lot of the higher end stuff too, I wanna say I got it for under 200 on a discount website

• Like 1

I’m a big fan of the quilt option too.  Super lightweight and small. Hammock gear 20 degree quilt with a Nemo tensor insulated sleeping pad.  Ran it on a late October NM backcountry elk hunt at 9000 feet. Nighttime temps somewhere between 15-20 degrees and 15-25 mph winds all night long.  Slept in thin long Johns, kuiu lightweight merino wool top and a cheap Costco puffy with a beanie In a three season tent - no heater.  Plenty warm.  That’s the coldest I’ve ever taken that setup.  

On 1/24/2020 at 12:42 PM, dustin25 said:

I have a big Agnes lost ranger 15. It weighs 3,5 lbs in the long version, so it’s not super light. But I’ve had it in the teens and been cozy, and most importantly it’s roomy, I can roll around in it or sleep on my side knees bent. It’s relatively cheap compared to a lot of the higher end stuff too, I wanna say I got it for under 200 on a discount website

I have the same bag and my only complaint about it is the zipper binding up. That gets pretty old. Pat

1 hour ago, Pat said:

I have the same bag and my only complaint about it is the zipper binding up. That gets pretty old. Pat

I can’t say I’ve run into that problem, at least enough to notice

I run a 22 degree Katabatic quilt and a thermorest pad.   It will get me down to an honest 22 degrees too.    I've slept in the 20's a few times and been fine.    I like a quilt over a mummy bag because of the restriction.    Frequently I'll put my puffy jacket on and might have an arm hanging out of the quilt.   Not a big deal but I can't take a mummy bag.   Typically the quilts are a bit lighter too.   As you know everything with down comes with the associated price tag.   I custom ordered mine in a wide so it had a few more inches or material.......maybe because I have a few more inches around my middle section.....

https://www.marmot.com/phase-20-sleeping-bag---long-23010.html?dwvar_23010_color=3763&dwvar_23010_size=00100LZ&cgid=specials_equipment#start=1

Use coupon EXTRA20

There is a pretty good clearance sale on Marmot Phase 20 sleeping bag

today. It’s  850+ f.p., EN rated, treated goose down bag, weighs less than 2 lbs and 

packs small. It’s a pretty good alternative for high dollar bags.

Extra 20% sale is today only but the sale might happen again soon

until these are cleared out.

Anyhow, it’s $200/shipped and you can get an additional $20 rebate through ActiveJunky.com

for a net price of appx $180.

Sizing info: I am 6’3”,200 lbs and the large bag fits snug 

just like an efficient backpacking mummy bag should. Regular is up to 6 feet, long up to 6’6”

and ladies bag up to 5’6”.

Look at EN ratings. Most manufacturers advertise the Lower Limit and not the Comfort temperature rating. For when it gets cold, you'll want a pad with a high R value.

After using "lesser" bags I grabbed a Western Mountaineering Antelope for a hunt in AK. It worked like a charm and has continued to work like a charm. Due to how well my Antelope has done, I did grab a WM MegaLite (mostly for AZ use for temperatures over 30). That bag rocks for a lot of AZ and I've taken it down to the low 20s more than once (always with an Xtherm pad). Their Badger is well regarded as well.

Quality bags are costly but consider how often you will use it (nights per year) and how many hours per day while hunting (8+ per day). You get far more use out it (per $ spent) than a rifle, scope, etc where you may only take a single shot for an entire hunt.