Sign in to follow this  
BassSlayer

Fishing at ROSY

47 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Forgive my ignorance,  is 3 feet from full and the top of the dam 2 separate things? Like the spillway is the intended runoff and the top is like worse case scenario?

The old dam was masonary and crumbling so back in the late 80's the Bureau of Reclamation put out a contract to reinforce it with concrete which required it to be raised 23 meters which also increased the span. It increased the lake capacity by roughly 20%. If it were to be allowed to fill to the brim everything as far as Jakes Corner would probably be under water. I worked on the project for the last two years which took longer than expected and was millions over budget. The project only had one fatality toward the end and OSHA shut it down for a few days.  I don't know if either spillway have been used as the lake has only been to capacity once about 10 years ago. 

So yes 3' from full is a long ways from the top of the dam.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, PRDATR said:

The old dam was masonary and crumbling so back in the late 80's the Bureau of Reclamation put out a contract to reinforce it with concrete which required it to be raised 23 meters which also increased the span. It increased the lake capacity by roughly 20%. If it were to be allowed to fill to the brim everything as far as Jakes Corner would probably be under water. I worked on the project for the last two years which took longer than expected and was millions over budget. The project only had one fatality toward the end and OSHA shut it down for a few days.  I don't know if either spillway have been used as the lake has only been to capacity once about 10 years ago. 

Interesting. Thsnks

before

b4.jpg.c16fdb8ca324a074c6cda628e690dab5.jpg

after

after.jpg.ed390220392c1a163017800ca4f350cc.jpg

an engineer(s) establishes maximum pool or maximum normal operating level and all water above that level must be released or 'spilled'.

lee

ps hard to believe hiway 188 went right along the top of the dam and i pulled some trailers over it i shouldn't have.  lived.

• Like 3

I did not go out last week,  but I  will report back. Muddy, but cleaner water is out there.  It's also been very windy. I dont like the wind and I am not a muddy water fishing guy. They are in the lake,2lb average.  Jwrk bait,  chatter bait, flaat bill crank, minnows etc. Lots of brush of course. 

Fish the backs of any creek and look for cleaner water. Probably  61 degrees. 

• Like 1