Sign in to follow this  
greg.shrum

Lazzeroni 7.82 warbird

Anyone know about lazzeroni rifles? I put one on hold in Cabela’s gun library and trying to find out more info before I purchase it. The guys at Cabela’s don’t have much info about it. Unknown round count, inside of barrel looks good. Built off of a Remington 700 action, bolt not fluted and doesn’t look to have been changed in any way. 
My questions are- Has Lazzeroni used Remington actions in the past for their builds or is this more likely a rebarreled remington? Also, what is value of this gun? Has a fluted barrel with muzzle break (unsure of brands) and a nice stock( better than b&c, but unsure of brand). 
I know the unknowns will greatly affect the value, just looking for ballpark low value/ high value. Thanks for the info.

Did you look in the barrel with a bore scope, or naked eye? If naked eye, I'm not sure it is even possible to tell what shape a barrel is in, without using a scope.

• Like 1

Pulled out the bolt and looked down the barrel with naked while pointed at ceiling light. I don’t have a bore scope and they didn’t offer one for me to use. Looked bright and clean and the rifling looked good, from what I could tell.

Those Lazzeroni rifles were pretty cool and way ahead of the times. I'd be leery of buying one now because there are so many cartridges that will do the same thing without the headaches of trying to find brass, current load data, etc. 

• Like 3

Lazzeroni 7.82 Warbird is a beast of a cartridge.  Somewhere in the .30-378Weatherby/.300RUM plus area.  180 @ 3500fps.

Brass is proprietary, and expensive.  So are dies.  Loaded ammo is outrageous ($140/20 rounds) and very hard to get other than directly from Lazzeroni.

Barrel life is very limited as with any huge capacity overbore magnum.  I would think 800-1000 rounds MAX.  

I know Lazz made some of their 7.82 Patriots on Savage actions.  They have their own actions for current rifles.  Not sure if any early rifles were made on R700 actions.

I wouldn't buy it without bore scoping it.

My 257 Weatherby barrel doesn't look bad with a naked eye, but with a bore scope it looks like heck, and is in need of a rebarrel. That is with approximately 800-1000 rounds down range.

There was a thread on here yeeeaarrrs ago from a guy that took a coues with a Lazzeroni, not sure it was a 7.82 though. The exit wound was the about the size of a volley ball. Beast of a weapon. I will try to find it. It was before the format change years back so it may not exist anymore.