Sign in to follow this  
joe hunter

Points for unit 1

Good luck, my brother had that hunt last year. He lives in the area scouted intensely the week prior, hunted every day of the season and saw two bulls over 350, taking a 285 bull on the last morning. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wapitibob said:

Minimum to draw in the nr bonus pass last year was 17; 10 of 13 drew. The rest were 18, 19, 20,

Resident side was 11 min, 13 points 7 of 8 drew.

1108499457_Untitled(Medium).thumb.jpg.41a86ce14a1e4a6993f0f4bf27582447.jpg

As a resident last year I drew the archery bull tag for unit 1 with 6 points. So it is possible to get it with less then 11

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nikki.AWHounds said:

As a resident last year I drew the archery bull tag for unit 1 with 6 points. So it is possible to get it with less then 11

Did you see some good bulls or did it seem down?

2 hours ago, Nikki.AWHounds said:

They are referring to the bonus pass not the 1/2 pass random draw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nikki.AWHounds said:

Ya, I drew that hunt 4 years ago with only 3 points.

From my point of view, after the "bonus pass", it seems the point pool is so diluted that it is really just a crap-shoot.   There is always hope for us 2-3 bonus-pointers!.  ;) 

• Like 3

It has been a very long time since i hunted in 1. I have nine bonus points and am having a hard time deciding on which Rifle Bull hunt to put in for.

Because of the fire and fantastic glassing there is now in unit 1, the rifle hunts have been taking more of the better bulls.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bonecollector said:

Anybody know what the bonus pass for early archery in unit 8 last yr?

I believe it was 8.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CatfishKev said:

I believe it was 8.  

This is correct.  To add a little detail, 38% of the people with 8 Points were drawn in the bonus.  Without a doubt most if not all of these applicants were residents.  You had to have 11 to be in the 100% category.  Non-residents probably started dropping out at 10 points.  Given that I would say at least 8 maybe 9 this year for a resident to have a chance in the bonus pass.  Odds go up from there.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, creed_az_88 said:

Did you see some good bulls or did it seem down?

Saw lots of real nice bulls. One was easy 400+ but he was smart and wasnt staying in one spot. Never saw another hunter where we hunted the whole hunt and I hunted the same spot from opening day to the last day. It was my second archery hunt ever, first was antelope the month before (I got very lucky last year with tags). I missed two bulls, ruined 2 pairs of boots, and found 3 horns and a dead head. I learned a lot chasing them with my bow. Saw a really sweet freak antelope buck and an absolute giant heavy goat there too. One of the bulls I should have hit was a nice heavy 5x5, he was the smallest bull we saw on the entire hunt. I will most definitely put in for that hunt again but I spend prolly 250 days a year in unit 1 so it's not an out of the way place for me. I dont believe the quality of bulls has dropped there, I think when there 250 hunters by Big Lake and 48 on the 96 rd I can see how people say the hunts not very good. But I will definitely put in for that hunt again. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Nikki.AWHounds said:

Saw lots of real nice bulls. One was easy 400+ but he was smart and wasnt staying in one spot. Never saw another hunter where we hunted the whole hunt and I hunted the same spot from opening day to the last day. It was my second archery hunt ever, first was antelope the month before (I got very lucky last year with tags). I missed two bulls, ruined 2 pairs of boots, and found 3 horns and a dead head. I learned a lot chasing them with my bow. Saw a really sweet freak antelope buck and an absolute giant heavy goat there too. One of the bulls I should have hit was a nice heavy 5x5, he was the smallest bull we saw on the entire hunt. I will most definitely put in for that hunt again but I spend prolly 250 days a year in unit 1 so it's not an out of the way place for me. I dont believe the quality of bulls has dropped there, I think when there 250 hunters by Big Lake and 48 on the 96 rd I can see how people say the hunts not very good. But I will definitely put in for that hunt again. 

Thanks for response. 

• Like 1