Sign in to follow this  
Redman

Any Boat Mechanics?

Yes... I know the best day for a boat owner....and what happens when you have a boat and stand at the dock.... save those wise cracks...LOL. 

I have a 94 Sea Ray with a 5.7 Alpha One. Got it last spring, took it to the lake no less than 20 times over the summer and it ran great. Last time was in September, no issues at all.

Tried to start it recently and it wouldn't (just a clunk) pulled the plugs and there was water in cylinders (a few). Cleared the water, fogged the cylinders, took it to the lake and it ran. Ran rough at low speeds but top end was good (did 45).  Didn't run it long.  Brought it home, a week later started it (with the hose) ran for a few minutes, drained the oil.  Water in the oil, boat takes 5.5 quarts of oil and drained about that much but it was milky (not sure how much water was in it).  Replaced the oil, still runs.  Can't for figure out why it hydrolocked, I have done plenty of internet searches... 

Any boat mechanics to recommend, I can't go any further mechanically myself? I live in the East Valley (Mesa).   Probably trade the boat in and get a newer boat (we like having a boat, anytime my family and I do anything outdoors more than 20 times a summer its money well spent). 

Thanks Andy 

7 hours ago, Redman said:

Yes... I know the best day for a boat owner....and what happens when you have a boat and stand at the dock.... save those wise cracks...LOL. 

I have a 94 Sea Ray with a 5.7 Alpha One. Got it last spring, took it to the lake no less than 20 times over the summer and it ran great. Last time was in September, no issues at all.

Tried to start it recently and it wouldn't (just a clunk) pulled the plugs and there was water in cylinders (a few). Cleared the water, fogged the cylinders, took it to the lake and it ran. Ran rough at low speeds but top end was good (did 45).  Didn't run it long.  Brought it home, a week later started it (with the hose) ran for a few minutes, drained the oil.  Water in the oil, boat takes 5.5 quarts of oil and drained about that much but it was milky (not sure how much water was in it).  Replaced the oil, still runs.  Can't for figure out why it hydrolocked, I have done plenty of internet searches... 

Any boat mechanics to recommend, I can't go any further mechanically myself? I live in the East Valley (Mesa).   Probably trade the boat in and get a newer boat (we like having a boat, anytime my family and I do anything outdoors more than 20 times a summer its money well spent). 

Thanks Andy 

ken howden is mobile, holiday mobile marine. ive used g and g also when it was loyds for an impeller and they were fair. 

• Like 2

Mobile boat mechanic? 😮

I had no idea that existed, now I have no excuse to have my boat sitting for another year.  Thanks!

Another vote for Ken been using him for 16 years on the same boat!  Plus he knows how to fish.  Boat still runs great to.

Update: Ken was very helpful and was great to work with, with the problem my boat was having he didn't want to tear down the motor (extensive job)

I ended up taking my boat to G&G Marine and they found the root cause and it was very simple and didn't need to tear down the motor, boat runs great. 

I would recommend G&G marine - top notch shop.  Ken is also great for being mobile. 

Can’t leave us hanging what was the fix??

• Like 1