Sign in to follow this  
AZBIG10

Ted gets his shot

Except for North of the ditch the mule deer population to me seems to be way down much like every other state in the west but our whitetail seem to be doing ok.  From what I see it seems like mule deer get whacked way more often than whitetail during these late archery hunts so I could see the AZGFD making it whitetail only  during these late hunts.

• Like 2

One way to keep it from going to a drAw. all non resident OTC deer need to hire a guide.

Non resident Javelina hunters have to use bowfishing gear.

How about draw for out of state otc archery deer?  I’m for that, but g&f will never do that.

I’d say the majority hunt archery seasons only as a backup to the rifle hunts. Sure there’s some die hard archery only guys guys and if it went to a draw they’d apply but it would have so many left overs it might as well stay OTC.

2 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I’d say the majority hunt archery seasons only as a backup to the rifle hunts. Sure there’s some die hard archery only guys guys and if it went to a draw they’d apply but it would have so many left overs it might as well stay OTC.

There’s a yuge amount of out of state people hunting it now. 

A few years back Arizona Game and Fish wanted to drum up some interest for the OTC opportunities down south.  To help promote the OTC deer, javelina, cudimondi, quail and predator hunting in January, they invited Randy Newberg and crew.  Since then they have been pounding 36B.  Now the likes of Gritty Bowman, Ryan Lampers, HUSH and the Hunting public are clearing their schedules to spend January down in Arizona every year.  

1 hour ago, Lazy-H98 said:

A few years back Arizona Game and Fish wanted to drum up some interest for the OTC opportunities down south.  To help promote the OTC deer, javelina, cudimondi, quail and predator hunting in January, they invited Randy Newberg and crew.  Since then they have been pounding 36B.  Now the likes of Gritty Bowman, Ryan Lampers, HUSH and the Hunting public are clearing their schedules to spend January down in Arizona every year.  

Newberg, THP and HUSH have yet to bag an archery Coues over the last 3 years, but show the duck, quail, rabbit, and javelina in the area which is very cool.

I thought OTC Javelina was only in the metro regions and the 36s needed a draw or left over tag?

2 minutes ago, NewlyMinted said:

Newberg, THP and HUSH have yet to bag an archery Coues over the last 3 years, but show the duck, quail, rabbit, and javelina in the area which is very cool.

I thought OTC Javelina was only in the metro regions and the 36s needed a draw or left over tag?

Correct. But usually so many leftovers especially archery it might as well be OTC. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lazy-H98 said:

I believe this is true. A crew out of Utah told me in that "they were hired by the AZGFD to showcase Arizona OTC opportunity", and that they weren't the only ones hired. Social media, You Tube, and Podcast are cool to listen to and watch but the repercussions from the exposure will ultimately end up ruining the quality of the OTC hunt in AZ. The pressure will get too high and the deer will wise up to what's going on and be tougher to hunt than they already are.....

What pisses me off is these guys wont showcase their own states. Yeah they will put out a few videos of them hunting other states or their own spots, but I guarantee they don't have their State flag flying on the tag for the video, they don't mention anything about the tag process in their state, they don't show the roads on the videos. I have yet to see any information on Utah deer hunting in the Wasatch mountains, or deer opportunity in Idaho.

Its apparent that the AZGFD has ONE objective in mind and that is to generate revenue regardless of the impacts it has on the quality of the OTC hunting. The federal lands are everyone's to enjoy and I think the nonresidents have a right to come hunt. They spend their hard earned money and pay their way. But I think it needs to be managed a little differently. I know more regulation is never a good thing but AZGFD has showcased AZ and changed the amount of pressure so they need to deal with it!

Maybe have a limited number of OTC tags available for residents and nonresidents?

Maybe have the nonresident tags available through a draw process?

Maybe raise the price of OTC tags across the board?  

Maybe implement mandatory harvest reporting, and close units when the quota is meet?

Maybe have people select a hand full of units they can hunt when buying their OTC deer tag, and limit the number of hunters per unit (have this on a first come first served basis, in person)?

Something to regulate the hunting pressure……….

Just MY $0.02 

• Like 4
  • Love 1