loboscout

WTB: beater/broken Rem 700 rifles/actions

Just looking for a couple cheap Rem 700 actions to practice some home gunsmithing on. Right handed, long or short. Cheap and broken preferred.

PM with pics, info and offers.

Good luck people wanna get rich on them since long range is so popular do yourself a favor and just go get a brand new one in your name at Walmart for the action and save yourself the headache

• Like 2

The most copied action is the Remington 700. The are numerous companies making clones. Then you have companies like Pacific Tool & Gauge selling blue printed Remington action for $600. Bottom line when you finish blue printing a Remington it's still just a Remington action. If it's yours to keep then yeah it's worth keeping over a plain factory action. Don't get me wrong, I love Remington actions! But I also love my Stiller actions(Remington clone) my Stolle Panda actions(Remington clones with a sleeve), my Borden actions(Remington clones) . Great after market stuff too! All these are reasons why they won't be cheap to find in any condition. 

Are you looking for something that will actually shoot again or something just to tinker with? If it doesn’t have to work when your done learning on it then maybe gunsmiths have some broken stuff? I don’t know the liability of selling something broken but maybe? Or check yard sales? If you want something that will work when your done then listen to all the replies above mine.

I have a Mauser 98 action. I had the bolt turned a number of years ago, when I thought I wanted to shoot long range. Then I started killing stuff at close range and lost interest. 

If you have time see if you can spend time around a gun builder that does quality work. Should reduce your risk of destroying parts. I can tell you the gun builder I've watched earns every penny. The cost of the equipment, his machining experience, his setup time, there are so many facets. The lure of doing it yourself I understand, but it is an expensive commitment.

I'm excited for you. You're young enough to dedicate the time, and the money. It truly becomes a way of life. 

Best wishes and good luck.

You could practice on cheaper military sporterized actions first. They become worthless as collectables. Old Mosins, Eddystones, 03 A1's, Mauser 98's like the fire mentioned. Experience on different actions should help on all actions in one way or another. Better to destroy a $75 to $150 gun practicing barrel removal than a $300 to $600 gun, in my opinion.

Old Eddystones (1917's) have a nearly indestructible action that can be recalibered, using the nickle bolt, to some Magnum rounds. I picked one up a few years back in 300 Win mag. Without re-barreling. Cheap practice for rechamebering? Role milled the sight dog ears off and many were not the best job. You could really clean some of the sporterized ones up.

Probably not exactly where you are interested, but it would get you lots of practice.

I'll keep my eyes open for cheap Remingtons.

Why don't people use the Winchester 70 actions? I've seen some of those cheap in the past.

P.S. the Early 03 A1's are possibly not safe as many were not hardened correctly.

• Like 1

All good info and ideas... thanks.

All I have now are a couple customs in Rem 700 footprint. I have a couple American Rifle Company actions. Sold all my Savages, loved them, and they got me into DIY "gunsmithing".

I would want to be able to shoot it. I am not gonna be messing with the action much, but playing with stock, bedding, chambering, etc. I could use my actions, but I don't want to be tearing them down. 

Those dang long range shooters... I am one of them, lol. I get it though. I harvest as close as I can get. But, its nice to know I have the skill to shoot a long ways. It is an addicting experience to hit steel at very, very far away.

I actually have an Eddystone, but it is a family heirloom, as bubbified as it is, gonna leave it. Those actions don't interest me, it is specific to Rem 700 actions.

Bought a Sendero. What a difference in the finish work. Newer ADL 700's seem so rough now. Amazing the different levels of workmanship and finish through the years and quality levels, ADL, BDL, CDL, Sendero, etc.

I know know why a gun builder friend has decided to go strictly custom actions (clone 700's finished well.) He says they also retain their value better as well. I'm still learning.😁