dakotakid

3 preference points - suggestions

2 hours ago, dakotakid said:

Totally understandable. I feel like a nonres when it comes to hunting here. I do live in the valley and I’ve been a res. Since 2017.

Definitely a lot harder to draw a tag here than what I’m used to in the North country.

Based on the geography and vegetation, it’s definitely a lot harder hunting here than I’m used to as well!

I did get to join a friend of mine on a cow elk hunt near Heber in 2017. It was a humbling and educational experience.

Well assuming you want a bull and not a cow hunt I'd probably go for a late archery tag.  3 is better then none. If you don't have your hunters ed get it for another point and then after 5 years of applying you gain a loyalty point. Adds up before ya know it.  I've got 6 points, after this year I'll gain a point and also earn my loyalty point and should have 8 next year.   I just can't decide on a unit.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Well assuming you want a bull and not a cow hunt I'd probably go for a late archery tag.  3 is better then none. If you don't have your hunters ed get it for another point and then after 5 years of applying you gain a loyalty point. Adds up before ya know it.  I've got 6 points, after this year I'll gain a point and also earn my loyalty point and should have 8 next year.   I just can't decide on a unit.  

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I’m somewhere in between wanting to burn my points or gathering more over the next several years. If I burned em, then I could just go for a cow tag in the hopes of hunting every other year at least. 

My son is just turned 10, so I’m trying to think about how that could play into things as well. I’d be happy just to let him fill the freezer with cow elk over the next few years as well.

Limited time and limited hunting budget requires more planning!

Your best bet is the Dec hunts.  If your from ND then the snow and cold wont bother you.  Go hunting even without a tag for the experience and see all the equipment that you will need.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dakotakid said:

Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I’m somewhere in between wanting to burn my points or gathering more over the next several years. If I burned em, then I could just go for a cow tag in the hopes of hunting every other year at least. 

My son is just turned 10, so I’m trying to think about how that could play into things as well. I’d be happy just to let him fill the freezer with cow elk over the next few years as well.

Limited time and limited hunting budget requires more planning!

$60 bucks for a youth elk tag is a no brainer.  I got 5 kids, been filling the freezer with cow tags the last few years. 4th kid turns 10 this year! That has definately made it easier to build points. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, ThomC said:

Your best bet is the Dec hunts.  If your from ND then the snow and cold wont bother you.  Go hunting even without a tag for the experience and see all the equipment that you will need.  

Thank you. Good advice.

11 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

$60 bucks for a youth elk tag is a no brainer.  I got 5 kids, been filling the freezer with cow tags the last few years. 4th kid turns 10 this year! That has definately made it easier to build points. 

That’s awesome! Definitely looking forward to it.

10 hours ago, phillyphan said:

My wife has been drawn early archery bull every other year since 2014, so it's not impossible.  

That’s amazing! I’ve never been so lucky when it comes to drawing tags, but I’ve been fortunate to harvest some good deer, a few elk, and lots of pheasants. So I won’t complain. That gives me hope though!

On 1/24/2020 at 4:25 PM, muledeerarea33? said:

Guessing I’ll band wagon on this, how bout 18 points and I want free pack out help from the bull you find me. And your cookin too!

You let me ride those points and I’ll give your elk a free ride out of the woods

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I hate her. 

LOL!!! Well I think her luck has finally ran out.  Our unit just dropped the bull tags by 50%.

• Like 1