Gut Pile

Shoot or Don't Shoot? Sportsmanship

21 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

You ever got into a fist fight with a houndsman? Lol

Wouldn’t be any different than stalking a deer or elk and someone shooting it. So are you saying I should get in a fight with him?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, wish2hunt said:

Wouldn’t be any different than stalking a deer or elk and someone shooting it. So are you saying I should get in a fight with him?

How many BPs and what unit?

Kidding aside I would advise using common sense. 

I wouldn’t shoot a bull or a deer out from another hunter. I would Watch the action unfold and hope the best for thebhunter. Maybe assist packing out.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AZBIG10 said:

How many BPs and what unit?

Kidding aside I would advise using common sense. 

I wouldn’t shoot a bull or a deer out from another hunter. I would Watch the action unfold and hope the best for thebhunter. Maybe assist packing out.

I wouldn’t either but some people would. 

• Like 1

Since Delw and AZLance have superior moral authority to me since they would never use a discount in a store twice I think we need them to settle this one.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Swivelhead said:

For me, it would be a situational thing but I'd hate to disappoint hard working dogs.

Bingo! Just sit back and watch the fire works! The dogs don’t always win but they always try there dang hearts out

• Like 1

Ifs it’s pinned or treed by the hounds then no, I would not shoot. 

• Like 1

I would not shoot, I have friends that lion hunt with dogs and the amount of time and effort and money and training that goes into this is mind-blowing. To me it feels like cutting in front of someone that you know is making a stock on an animal, kinda an a-hole move but that's just me

Unless you see the dogs shoot. tons of animals get shot after being spooked by hunters...or vehicles. I personally don't think its stalking when dogs are involved.

• Like 1

I get the issue, butt hounds Men don't give a Damm about others, just go into 23 during archery deer and bear. They drive up and down the roads with barking dogs on there front bumper, and that's not road hunting. Here about there lost dogs all the time. Not trying to be a hypocrite, because I did take my lion with the ground pounders and there dogs. I don't disagree with dog hunting , I just don't think they get a free pass on game.. But don't shoot.

This is a funny group. I never thought so many responses would be to shoot. Other posts rant about trail cameras bagged by another hunter and stolen and yet you would shoot a bear or lion in front of hounds? Well, maybe not if it were treed.

I guess it's time to admit that I'm not with the status quo. Given the original post, heck no I wouldn't shoot. It's not about ownership but workmanship. 

• Like 1

I have 50% hearing loss from being stupid as a kid so I probably would not hear the dogs anyway.

BOOM.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a houndsmen it's scary thinking so many people feel this way about Hounds and those of us who choose that way to hunt. 

I've had people shoot bears that were bayed on the ground theough our dogs. Have had dogs shot by other hunters. 

I can tell you right now, no houndsmen ever goes hunting with the goal to ruin another person's hunt. 

Support a pursuit hunt, and you would not have to deal with as many houndsmen during the kill season. 

Speaking of road hunting in 23, you'll see more side by sides and people in camo running roads and "light bars" then you will dog boxes. 

Its quiet clear that the hunting community will never stand together against the true enemy, the animal terrorists and anti hunters, it's much easier to just get rid of the competition if that's what you want to call it. If hound hunting gets banned then people think they will be able to finally kill that 500 pound 23 inch skulled black bear! 

Instead of learning new spots, hunting harder, or trying to be open minded about something different, it's much easier to blame other people. 

It's not just houndsmen that get blamed for unfilled archery tags, which are good for like 4 months right? Everyone has a problem with everyone elses ways of hunting. Most of the people that say "oh just shoot it they dont own it" dont get WHY we are out there. 

You buy a bow or whatever weapon you hunt with and it sits in a closet until you use it. If it sat for 6 months it doesnt cost you anything per day. It cant get sick or hurt. Yes you can have sentimental value to it but can you truly say it's your best friend? You can lock it up in your house and go on vacation for a week. You can go to family events like weddings and funerals. Much easier to trust a gun to be safe by itself then 3, 6, 15+ dogs. You can live wherever you want, you aren't listed in a demographic with no joke a 300-400% divorce rate! Ask 10 houndsmen how many marriages or divorces they've had. Most will say 2 or 3. 

Most houndsmen have Hounds because it's in our blood. It's our lifestyle. We aren't out there to ruin anyones hunt. Most houndsmen catch and release because it isnt about what we chase, it's about watching a 4th, 5th, 10th generation pup become a solid trusty hunting partner. 

I am not trying to attack anyone just begging people to be a little open minded. The last thing anyone wants is to get hurt while hunting. Is a bear or a lion or anything really worth it? Why not visit with someone with Hounds and go on a hunt with them? Get to see that we aren't all just fat gross hillbillies that dont care about our dogs. We work hard every single day to get where we can even start catching game with the dogs. 

Fearing other hunters is not something that should ever run through anyones mind when they go hunting. But after reading some of the comments on this page it makes me wonder if someone on this forum wouldnt gun down a pack of dogs and the owner just because they felt "their hunt was ruined". Pretty eye opening.