Sign in to follow this  
COAZAndrew

Savage 111F - 30-06 - Best Scope?

I just bought this gun - looking for a recommendation on the right scope.  Right now it has iron sights, which would be cool to keep for backup.  Hunting Cous, Antelope, Mule deer, Elk.  

Thoughts?

What budget? Guys here have $40 scopes all the way to $4000 scopes. Obviously some are better then others, but your budget is the key.

Tip off rings would be nice to have the iron sights as backup if you need it. 

Leupold quick disconnect rings are pretty commonly available. 

In the $300-500 range you have alot of decent options. One of my favorites right now is the Burris Veracity scopes. You can find new and used Leupolds and alot of other good scopes too. 

https://www.sportoptics.com/burris-veracity-scopes/burris-veracity-3-15x50-fullfield-e1-200637-pkg.aspx

2 scopes for a good price. Sell the second scope for $150 and you are in your budget 

https://www.sportoptics.com/burris-veracity-scopes/burris-vaeracity-2-10x42-200621.aspx

There are other good Nikon, Leupold, etc available too.

After some discussion, I do have the opportunity to get a VX-1 4-12x40mm Leupold from a friend to try out.  I plan to do that first.  

Any experience with that one?  

I really wanted a yardage turret and a first focal plane scope, but maybe as an upgrade later.  

Those Burris are first focal plan. 

The leupold will be an good enough scope to get you by, but doesn't sound like it offers the features you want. 

I dont know if the VX1 have the click adjustments or are friction adjustment on the knobs. I hate the friction type. I want a positive click personally. 

2 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

Those Burris are first focal plan. 

The leupold will be an good enough scope to get you by, but doesn't sound like it offers the features you want. 

I dont know if the VX1 have the click adjustments or are friction adjustment on the knobs. I hate the friction type. I want a positive click personally. 

I have a couple of VX-1's and they are click adj. I had a VXll for 25 years and is was friction.

21 hours ago, COAZAndrew said:

After some discussion, I do have the opportunity to get a VX-1 4-12x40mm Leupold from a friend to try out.  I plan to do that first.  

Any experience with that one?  

I really wanted a yardage turret and a first focal plane scope, but maybe as an upgrade later.  

Adjustable turrets come with pluses and minuses.    If you just plan on having a 600 yard hunting gun then really look at a scope that has a BDC yardage markers in the scope.   Much quicker and easier to use in the field.   Trying to adjust your scope for the yardage as a critter is moving can be a PITA.   A BDC will get most hunters out to 500-600 yards pretty easy and a ton faster and easier.  If you are going to shoot past 600 yards then you will want to have a turret and really need to reload (and have a chronograph) to get your speeds down pat.