IanFitz17901

Cow Elk unit 27 August Hunt

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the August Cow Elk hunt in 27? I usually hunt Coues in 24B, took a nice buck two years ago, but the woodbury fire put an end to my favorite spots for the next year or so. Looking for a way to fill my freezer before I try my hand at a southern Coues unit for 2020, and this is the only tag I can draw/hunt due to my schedule. I'd love to take a Cow elk before the fall to take the pressure off exploring a new unit down south for grey ghosts. 

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I plan on hitting the hills out there in March or April. 

Here's my 2017 Coues from 24B:

cd.jpg

• Like 2

That’s the Limited Opportunity hunt in Black Mountain Area, right? My understanding on those hunts is they’re usually a lot tougher due to lower elk numbers in the area or other factors. I’m not familiar with that specific area though. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IanFitz17901 said:

Yeah that's the one. I can't find much information on it. I hear it can be tough, and its only a select portion of the unit. I can't find any real boundaries listed for the hunt though. 

Boundaries are defined in one of the notes at the bottom of the elk hunt section. Notes applicable to each hunt are listed with hunt number, date, etc. I think this one was note 18 if I remember correctly from earlier today when I looked. 

• Like 1