Sign in to follow this  
recurveman

Upgrade scope from Vortex Viper HS LR

Zeiss Victory is a very high quality scope, there are multiple reviews with it toping Schmidt and Bender - Lance gave you all you need.

I'm not against any brand scope.    Just looking for a really awesome top end scope.    I've shot NF before and I think it could be argued that NF is considered the top scope by many of the competitors on the shooting line.   Very reliable and great glass.    I do have to say that I shot the bench rest model and didn't think the glass quality was as good as others I've looked through since.   

I have two Schmidt and benders, a PM2 ultra short and the new exos.  I’m a SFP guy but I think they can be had in either.  I dial all my shots or I don’t shoot, so I prefer a clean reticle with SFP.  The Exos is a 3-21x50 which includes my opinion is a sweet spot for a hunting scope.  Has zero lock, locking turret, and illumination which are my three must haves as I’m more of a hunter then a shooter.  Absolutely love that scope.  Lance is the go to guy if you get more technical then that, I’m a hunter first and shooter second so my priorities are different.  

2 hours ago, yotebuster said:

I have two Schmidt and benders, a PM2 ultra short and the new exos.  I’m a SFP guy but I think they can be had in either.  I dial all my shots or I don’t shoot, so I prefer a clean reticle with SFP.  The Exos is a 3-21x50 which includes my opinion is a sweet spot for a hunting scope.  Has zero lock, locking turret, and illumination which are my three must haves as I’m more of a hunter then a shooter.  Absolutely love that scope.  Lance is the go to guy if you get more technical then that, I’m a hunter first and shooter second so my priorities are different.  

So I get why you would want a zero lock and locking turret as "must haves".    Why is illumination a "must have"?   I am also more of a hunter than shooter and I've never had an illuminated scope and just wondering the advantage that it plays.   Thanks, 

With FFP at low magnification the reticle can become very fine and it's been my experience it can 'disappear' quickly in those first and last 30 minutes of light... or if you are shooting at a critter with dark fur. In Texas, shooting at hogs at night or close to night this becomes an issue. It is easily resolved by turning on my illumination just enough to give me a red contrast.

Zero stop / Locking turret-- I like the locking turret such as the CDS-ZL2, Nightforce ZeroHold or the up/down lock on the Razor AMG. If you do a lot of hiking/walking or carry the rifle in any manner it could be jostled in a way that rotates the dials this is a good feature to have for hunting.

If you don't care for locking you at least want a zero stop so you can quickly 'bottom out' and know where you are on your dial if you plan to dial up and shoot.

2 hours ago, recurveman said:

So I get why you would want a zero lock and locking turret as "must haves".    Why is illumination a "must have"?   I am also more of a hunter than shooter and I've never had an illuminated scope and just wondering the advantage that it plays.   Thanks, 

Pretty much what duckhunter said.  I would say of those three the illumination is least important but it has come in handy before.  I’ve missed a critter or two from having my turret turned on the seat of the truck or in my pack (this was on cheaper scopes with less “click” to them).  I like a zero stop so I can always know that I’m at zero and didn’t go past it.  Missed a book antelope once because of that.   I usually set my zero for 100 yards and then set the turret at about 2.5 moa up and lock it.  So if I have to shoot fast I’ve got a gun that’s essentially dead on for deer sized animals out to 350 or so.  I almost always take the time to verify and dial but sometimes stuff happens fast.  The zero lock makes sure that it’s always locked where I want it and I’m not obsessively checking to make sure it’s set where I want it.  

The scope I have is pretty easy to get back to zero.   I do however check the gun every time it comes out of the case to make sure that it is at zero.   If I'm out for the day I check it WAY to much.    Would be great to be able to lock the turret in place.   

I now understand the illumination.    I've had a few times in the past couple years where I would have the scope turned down really low to gather light better.   Luckily it was with a different scope that wasn't a FFP scope and I could see the crosshairs just fine.   I have struggled with seeing crosshairs before during normal conditions on really low power.    Very interesting.  

So, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a scope.   I'm thinking the S&B PMII 3x20 scope.   Any reason that wouldn't be a great choice?    I haven't really started looking yet but it does look that many are out of stock.    Any good place to get them right now?  

1 hour ago, recurveman said:

So, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a scope.   I'm thinking the S&B PMII 3x20 scope.   Any reason that wouldn't be a great choice?    I haven't really started looking yet but it does look that many are out of stock.    Any good place to get them right now?  

I love mine but I made an expensive Tangent Theta purchase earlier this year and now my daughter is getting married so If you are serious and want a used one, I may be selling.  The only downside is that it is a little on the heavy side ( most of the great scopes are) but I love the strength and durability of the scope. Glass is awesome. 

P.S. nevermind I see you wanted it in MOA mine is MIL

I don't know about everyone else but now I've got rifle envy !! That's a beautiful display of guns and scopes lance.I'm jealous .something tells me the wife isn't going to go for I need to upgrade my atacr on my 7-08 I have yet to shoot but damm beautiful

2 hours ago, WHT_MTNMAN said:

I love mine but I made an expensive Tangent Theta purchase earlier this year and now my daughter is getting married so If you are serious and want a used one, I may be selling.  The only downside is that it is a little on the heavy side ( most of the great scopes are) but I love the strength and durability of the scope. Glass is awesome. 

P.S. nevermind I see you wanted it in MOA mine is MIL

What idiot talked you into a Tangent Theta.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Will the Schmidt and Bender 3-20x50 PM II Ultra Short Rifle Scope 34mm fit on my Batt Action.   It is in a long action but has a rail going all the way across the top of the action.   

Thanks

I love these old posts!

How about an update recurveman?

Jeff

Well I bought a zero compromise 4 X 20 X 50.   The scope came as advertised and is insane.   Though after playing with it I'm going to get a different scope.   I'm not a fan of the reticle or mils.  I thought I might bet used to both but I'm not a fan of either.   I really like a very simple crosshair and MOA.   Don't kid the scope is probably the best on the market and is awesome I just don't think it is for me.  I would have bought the Schmidt and Bender 3-20x50 PM II Ultra Short Rifle Scope 34mm P4FL2-MOA but couldn't find one in stock when I needed to buy the scope.   I was also told they didn't know when they were expected.   So, if you like the reticle of the ZCO scope and like mils then this scope is perfect.   I did shoot my sheep with it at 462 yards and the turret was fine but I would have been more comfortable using an MOA scope.   

I should thank Lance for taking a phone call from me.   He helped out with my choice of scopes and he is crazy knowledgeable about them.   

• Like 1