UggRedBilly

First Elk Hunt Unit 10

This will be my first Elk hunt ever! It will be archery for unit 10 for either a bull tag or antlerless. I have 4 points and the hunts are both during Mid-November! So I have a good shot at being drawn I believe! I need help for if the Big Bo Ranch permit is worth all the money. Where should I scout/hunt. And if calling would even be efficient. I am only 18 and am willing to hike across the unit if needed. Any information helps! Thank you!

Since your a kid they will cut you some slack.  First you need to decide if you want to hunt a bull or a cow. Bull tags are waaaaayyyy harder to draw. Archery tags are always easier to get then rifle but the later the tag generally the HARDER the hunt.  Unit 10 gets a lot harder as the season goes on from all that I've read.  But if you are happy to just kill a cow for meat then 4 points is enough to draw lots of cow tags in lots of units.   

41 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Since your a kid they will cut you some slack.  First you need to decide if you want to hunt a bull or a cow. Bull tags are waaaaayyyy harder to draw. Archery tags are always easier to get then rifle but the later the tag generally the HARDER the hunt.  Unit 10 gets a lot harder as the season goes on from all that I've read.  But if you are happy to just kill a cow for meat then 4 points is enough to draw lots of cow tags in lots of units.   

I plan on using the Bull as my first pick and the cow as a 2nd pick to back it up. According to top rut my chances of getting a Bull for the late archery in unit 10 is 85% with my points. And that cow tag is like almost a for sure draw even with 1 point. Only a very few ended up applying for that hunt for the last 6 year too! I would he fine with either. I honestly want meat, and a learning experience. I'm not looking for that huge 400" bull yet. But one day though!

Screenshot_20200128-213737_Chrome.thumb.jpg.89e45cf8a907a0f9895a37aafdf7b991.jpgBull rifle odds. 20% for late hunt.  Less then 1% for early hunt. Keep in mind second hunt is tough unless you have lots of experience.  I would not recommend it.  

Rifle cow odds. You'd be 100% for the early cow rifle hunt. I'd say that's your best bet considering odds of filling the tag.Screenshot_20200128-214412_Chrome.thumb.jpg.04c304830d27b1d59211ca9b77b0ba99.jpg

1 minute ago, CatfishKev said:

Rifle cow odds. You'd be 100% for the early cow rifle hunt. I'd say that's your best bet considering odds of filling the tag.Screenshot_20200128-214412_Chrome.thumb.jpg.04c304830d27b1d59211ca9b77b0ba99.jpg

Dang that sounds freaking awesome! But I do not have a rifle. My dad got his right taken away from guns way back before I was born so I do not have one and since I live with him still. I cannot have one so I chose to buy a bow instead! I might try to put in for that though but use my bow for it though!

They should show now.  Not sure unit 10 has an archery cow hunt. Check the regs.  4 points should score you dang near any archery cow hunt though. Since you are new i recommend you stay away from bull hunts until you have some experience in the field.  Go kill a cow with your bow, it will be a huge confidence booster. Then start looking at bull tags. Good luck kid.

Just now, CatfishKev said:

They should show now.  Not sure unit 10 has an archery cow hunt. Check the regs.  4 points should score you dang near any archery cow hunt though. Since you are new i recommend you stay away from bull hunts until you have some experience in the field.  Go kill a cow with your bow, it will be a huge confidence booster. Then start looking at bull tags. Good luck kid.

Will do! I appreciate the help!

That mid November hunt is tough.  Seen zero elk on my hunt. Cow or bull.  Keep in mind there are several hundred cow tags just prior to the late hunts.  Huge pressure.  

3 minutes ago, Sea 2'er said:

That mid November hunt is tough.  Seen zero elk on my hunt. Cow or bull.  Keep in mind there are several hundred cow tags just prior to the late hunts.  Huge pressure.  

Gotcha! Thank you!

What is the price for Big Bo access??

1 minute ago, Gut Pile said:

What is the price for Big Bo access??

For 1 hunter with a bull tag it costed 110$ per bull hunter. 80$ per cow. And 80 each for each bull hunter assistant