Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

Home Video/Security

CWT always comes through with good (and often creative) advice so I'm back for more. I have no existing problems, but I'm looking for recommendations and ideas on surveillance systems and deterrents to theft in addition to dogs, motion lights and locks.

Specifically, I was gauging pros/cons on one of the newer 4+ camera systems connected to home WiFi now that they are getting cheaper and got curious if anyone was running cellular game cameras that send notifications to a phone.

Most important thing is knowing if there is someone on the far side of my property in the middle of the night. Thanks in advance.

My FIL has a Ring motion detector/light above his garage. It's set up to his phone so it can notify when the detector activates. 

25 minutes ago, DUG said:

My FIL has a Ring motion detector/light above his garage. It's set up to his phone so it can notify when the detector activates. 

Hadn't seen that combo and it looks pretty good. Con would be the Amazon/Alexa connection but the price and reviews put it on the list to consider. Thanks, DUG.

We recently added a 4 camera Arlo Pro 2 system. Its super easy to install and set up. The motion sensors are very good. They will pick up a rabbit in our yard. You can set it up to send an alert directly to your phone if the motion sensor catches something. Best Buy has the system on sale right now for $399, normally $650.00. David

I hope you like changing batteries

I would suggest this: https://reolink.com/product/rlk8-410b4/

Full HD, records 24/7, still records if your internet goes down, doesn't need batteries, can send notifications if you want. Downfall is you have to run wires, but its worth it. 

Video quality suffers a lot on most of the Arlo and Nest systems I've seen. 

Reolink footage: 

Arlo footage:

• Like 1

We've had Arlo Pro (720p) cams installed for about 1.5 years.  Not much easier out there to set up IMO....uses batteries and wireless.

Batteries last 3-8 weeks depending on config and activity.  The cams will miss some motion (even on big objects) but it's better than nothing and super easy to set up.

If the need gets out of control where we live, I'd go wired like others have suggested, but for now, these work just fine.

Eddie 

I have ring and love it so far, we caught a couple of guys breaking into cars on my street and because of the ring video they were caught and convicted. This is when they were checking my truck door.

It’s nuts the stuff you catch when your sleeping.

3 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

So will any of these work if you don’t have Internet or WiFi? Not that your internet went down or glitched but you just don’t have it on your property at all.

Yeah there are some with hardwired connection directly into a DVR system. 

• Like 1