Dadof3

Can’t wait to take my kids hunting

Hi my name is Russ. I am a father of three desperate to pass the tradition of hunting on to my children. The good news is my boys want to go so bad they are earning their own money to buy their tags if they are drawn.  I currently live in California where there is very little opportunity for youth to hunt. I have decided to apply to Arizona this year. Would anyoneD7CD40DB-D14D-4036-8F56-470AE36E125E.thumb.jpeg.7ab8f6b24b6c91ff1d4fc7ceef10a10b.jpeg be willing to steer me in the right direction as far as a unit and if we are lucky enough to be drawn pointing me in the right direction?  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Good for you dad! Fyi, the draw deadline for elk is February 11th.  I'd recommend put the boys in for the cow elk youth hunt.  Every year the Arizona deer association puts on a youth elk and deer camp located right on the border of units 3a3c and 23. Also some other units also intersect right close to there. Theres lots of guys around to help out for any new hunters too.  The youth elk and deer hunts are at the same time so I would put the boys in for elk then when the deer draw comes put them in for deer in the same unit.  There is also another youth camp put on by the muke deer foundation ad well usually held in Toronto basin / pumpkin center area.  I think that's unit 22, I haven't done that one myself but I'm sure it's a blast.  I think both camps feed the hunters and the hunting party for free on opening day, saturday and sunday for breakfast. It's pretty awesome, lots of giveaways and stuff too.  I know 23 pretty well now and can help a bit. 

Make sure you get them to pass the hunter safety course in the meantime. 

What are their shooting capabilities? 

"There is also another youth camp put on by the muke deer foundation ad well usually held in Toronto basin / pumpkin center area. "

Wondering how long it will take a non-resident to find this on a map.....lol

• Haha 1

You will find plenty of help here. Pick a youth elk hunt and apply them. The odds aren’t great so be prepared to wait a few years.

Deer hunts are much easier to draw. Pick one closest to you and have fun. 

My 10 year is good to about 150-200 yards and my 14 is good out to 400. We will spend the summer extending that distance. My goal is to fill our bellies with the lifetime memories we create

12A is the only unit with antlerless tags.   All three of my kids killed their first deer on that hunt.   It is an OUTSTANDING hunt!!!!   😉👍🏻

1 hour ago, 5guyshunting said:

There are not enough youth tags. Put the kids in for general hunts the odds are better.

This.  

Jr. Cow tag 1st choice

General cow elk tag 2nd choice

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AzDiamondHeat said:

"There is also another youth camp put on by the muke deer foundation ad well usually held in Toronto basin / pumpkin center area. "

Wondering how long it will take a non-resident to find this on a map.....lol

Toronto basin. 
lol. 
Yup it would be hard to find on a map. 

2 hours ago, Dadof3 said:

What unit would that be in? Are the youth deer hunts anterless?

The ada camp is not unit specific anyone can go. It is centrally located to units 23, 3c, 4a, and 4b.  Like I said, deer and elk are the same time. So if one kid scores an elk tag definately put them both in for a deer tag too.  Deer tags and elk tags are both before any rifle hunts so the kids have first crack at hunting before the pressure starts. Another thing to consider is a youth elk tag is like $60. If you put your kids in for the regular draw they gotta pay full price which is in the $150 range.  And no not antlerless, ANY antlered deer, what's even better is you can kill a muley or a coues.   My opinion go all in for the youth hunt. Other factor is youth hunt is during fall break which can be easier for you especially since you are out of state. If neither kid gets drawn then consider putting your kids in the regular draw for Deer in a southern unit where they have a high likelihood of drawing.  

30 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

The ada camp is not unit specific anyone can go. It is centrally located to units 23, 3c, 4a, and 4b.  Like I said, deer and elk are the same time. So if one kid scores an elk tag definately put them both in for a deer tag too.  Deer tags and elk tags are both before any rifle hunts so the kids have first crack at hunting before the pressure starts. Another thing to consider is a youth elk tag is like $60. If you put your kids in for the regular draw they gotta pay full price which is in the $150 range.  And no not antlerless, ANY antlered deer, what's even better is you can kill a muley or a coues.   My opinion go all in for the youth hunt. Other factor is youth hunt is during fall break which can be easier for you especially since you are out of state. If neither kid gets drawn then consider putting your kids in the regular draw for Deer in a southern unit where they have a high likelihood of drawing.  

Try $665 for a non resident elk tag

14 minutes ago, 654321 said:

Try $665 for a non resident elk tag

Oh yeah,I forgot about that. And if I remember correctly nonnres youth is still $60. The youth argument is strong.

• Like 1