trphyhntr

Crappie

This photo of my wife Ellen is circa 1990s at Roosevelt. We were fishing with Curt Rambo and caught 101 crappie to go along with my article. "Crappie 101."

i13508.jpg

• Like 7

On 5/1/2020 at 9:11 AM, Outdoor Writer said:

This photo of my wife Ellen is circa 1990s at Roosevelt. We were fishing with Curt Rambo and caught 101 crappie to go along with my article. "Crappie 101."

i13508.jpg

Who had to fillet the 101 crappie?  It's all  fun and games up to that point..... me and a buddy had limits at San Carlos fairly often in the "old days" and that pile of fish never seemed to shrink and that was 1/2 of what you guys did.  Even with electric knives, seemed like a forever process.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

Who had to fillet the 101 crappie?  It's all  fun and games up to that point..... me and a buddy had limits at San Carlos fairly often in the "old days" and that pile of fish never seemed to shrink and that was 1/2 of what you guys did.  Even with electric knives, seemed like a forever process.

The devil is in the details. Words have meanings and meanings have words. 😉 Note that I said "we caught," which is different than "we kept." If I recall, we kept about a dozen for us to take home. 

52 minutes ago, Outdoor Writer said:

The devil is in the details. Words have meanings and meanings have words. 😉 Note that I said "we caught," which is different than "we kept." If I recall, we kept about a dozen for us to take home. 

I have  a hard time releasing crappie unless they're small fish.  Too dang tasty....my catch and release is into hot grease.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, NOTAGS said:

I have  a hard time releasing crappie unless they're small fish.  Too dang tasty....my catch and release is into hot grease.

Yeah but most of all of them are usually small. Look back a couple of posts and you will see what I mean. I bet 90% of the ones caught are kept by the average person who just goes once a year. By the time you fillet one of those it's like eating a potato chip.

• Confused 2

Yeah, in the spawn you usually catch them best in shallow water, right up next to the bank. In years when the water fluctuates a lot, that can be hard.