Sign in to follow this  
broadhead

Anyone have experience with a Recce style AR for hunting?

I'm kind of following up off of a thread I posted a couple months ago so forgive me but I'm still debating which AR I want to get and am still looking at the 16" barrel Recce style rifles such as the BCMs. Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience coyote hunting with one, and if so what range your shots are typically. The overwhelming consensus I've received so far is most shots are at or within 150 yards and a good Recce rifle with 55 grain Vmax loads may get you anywhere from 1-2 MOA. Seems sufficient to me but still wanted to ask. Thanks in advance guys.

A good solid 16” at will get close to MOA will definitely be up to the task especially for someone used to working one. A good  variable power scope and I’d be very comfortable with any good 16” AR 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 3:30 AM, broadhead said:

I'm kind of following up off of a thread I posted a couple months ago so forgive me but I'm still debating which AR I want to get and am still looking at the 16" barrel Recce style rifles such as the BCMs. Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience coyote hunting with one, and if so what range your shots are typically. The overwhelming consensus I've received so far is most shots are at or within 150 yards and a good Recce rifle with 55 grain Vmax loads may get you anywhere from 1-2 MOA. Seems sufficient to me but still wanted to ask. Thanks in advance guys.

I have a 16'' Ruger SR556 and it has a heavy barrel. It's really accurate but all my shots have been within 100 meters. Works well and I use 77gr Magtech rounds that keep the accuracy consistent.

• Like 1

in the 30+ years I have called and hunted yotes i'd say 70% were 80-100 yards or closer 30 percent were 200 yards or more. I hunt the flats and heavy cover.

open sites and short rifles are best in my opinion aside from shotguns. I'm been toying with getting a red dot though for the longer ones when I am hunting cover. that being said I always have a few rifles with me including an AR buts its a 20" hb old colt, my shortys are safe queens. I got 30 rounds if I really want to try and kill one running past 200 yards. I have killed a few that way but not many.

bring a rifle /shotgun pistol or what ever for the type of  shooting you want to do.

On 2/2/2020 at 5:30 PM, broadhead said:

I think you'd like that set up.  Check out the BCM RECCE 16 Precision Rifle.  The barrel contour on the Precision Rifle is a little heavier (not much though) and it has a 1 in 8 twist instead of the 1 in 7 for the standard RECCE rifles.  (The slightly slower twist could help with accuracy for the light 55gr bullets you want to use.)  That rifle with a LPVO starting at true 1X up to maybe 6 or 8 along with an offset red dot could be really versatile for any where to "crap, there's a yote in my lap out to the maximum effective range of the .223. 

All BCMs are hard to come by nowadays though so it might be a bit of a wait.

That setup is all I use. And I use 69 grain hpbt. Trying a fixed x5 power prism as soon as I can get more 69gr ammo to site it in.