Edge

Cowboy games

26 minutes ago, 520HUNT said:

Watch "To Rope A Grizzly | Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/NzFPy0_FjAk

this one was filmed in Southern AZ on back side of Rincon mountains

WTH did I just watch lol? I remember watching this show as a kid. Even then I screamed foul.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edge said:

When I was living near Quemado, NM a couple cowboy thought it would be fun to rope a bear in a small tree and pull him out.

This didn't please the bear much. One cowboy dropped the rope and ran leaving his partner holding a very pissed bear. Near ran up the rope and grabbed the fool by the leg and shook him like a rag doll.

Now the bear had to be tracked and killed and his head sent to the state vet lab. Joe roper got off with some stitches.

Quemado. That’s where my family’s from. Talk about a town you can throw a rock across. 

On 6/20/2022 at 9:21 PM, 520HUNT said:

Watch "To Rope A Grizzly | Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/NzFPy0_FjAk

this one was filmed in Southern AZ on back side of Rincon mountains

Sure looks like the Rincons. Maybe a bit too much water, but I haven't hiked the whole mountain range.

There is a post about the last grizzly in AZ killed by Ben Lilly in 1913. Wonder how much of Mutual of Omaha was staged.

Coues Whitetail.com

On edit, the last one may have been 1935.

Tracking the last grizzly

5 minutes ago, arizonian said:

Sure looks like the Rincons. Maybe a bit too much water, but I haven't hiked the whole mountain range.

There is a post about the last grizzly in AZ killed by Ben Lilly in 1913. Wonder how much of Mutual of Omaha was staged.

Coues Whitetail.com

Looked like a cub, probably born in the circus

40 minutes ago, arizonian said:

Coues Whitetail.com

it was all staged... they brought the bear in for the episode

4 hours ago, arizonian said:

Coues Whitetail.com

Bill I've read that the last recorded grizzly killed in az was in 1948. Up in 27 around the 4 drag. But then again I just going off of what I've read.

That was sad.  I used to watch that show every week …… the ignorance of youth  was nice.   It looked like they kept riding the same draw, I’m pretty sure that’s the Redington Pass area, and the  “ box canyon “ was the  Chiva Falls  stream bed. Never saw a goat raised on the Bellota Ranch or the Tanque Verde either in all my years of hunting and camping up there .