LonePineOutdoors_AZ

Teamwork and spotting/guiding a shooter in on a buck

It's something that only gets better with time. I find it leaps and bounds easier to guess the distance when guiding in from any direction aside from straight on. I always pick a landmark also and try to find something out of the norm or that sticks out more than the rest to get them close. Having the same spotter/partner makes it a lot easier also. Because you both get in tune with one another and that just makes the stalk easier going in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Noting your video skills in your bio me thinks that you want to use new electronic gadgets to make you a hunter.  

If possible line the shooter and buck up with the spotter. Example if the shooter can see me I'll walk them above the buck in a perfect straight line. The distance I tell them may be off but they can look at me and know the buck is at least straight between me and him. 

Also, garmin GPS units have a feature called sight and go. Range your animal type it in and point the gps at the deer. It still has a margin of error but it gets you close if your by yourself. Old gps units are cheap. 

@ThomC Everyone else seems to have constructive criticism. I don't expect any technology to make me a better hunter just as explaining the difference between software and hardware won't make you any kinder. 

• Like 3

@KoosCrazy  that seems to be the consensus. thanks for the input.
@Tj_G91 my spotter was very nearly behind me rather than side-view, that's something I'll have to keep in mind. 
@CatfishKev thats an interesting way to keep a line, and visibility. Regarding the ranging and GPS, I've tried it, and it definitely helps with getting in the neighborhood, but I noticed I was always checking my GPS rather than footfall, wind, and my view of whats around me. Definitely willing to give it more practice though.

I hate radios.When I am stalking I don't want to be visiting with my buddy.If I want to visit ,I will stay in camp.Just my own opinion.

• Like 2

@DCS I think I understand what you mean. I'm not looking to converse while stalking. Since you, and a few others here, are not radio users, any of you non-radio users feel free to answer the following in lieu of answering my original question. 

• what do you do on a stalk (hand signals, solo prep, terrain association, etc)?
  • How did you learn that/those methods?
  • Can you explain your thought process while you're executing your stalk?
  • Why do you prefer that method over radios?

I will glass back and my pardner will signal to the left ,right or both hands over head for straight ahead.Pretty simple but works for us.

• Like 1

I hunt alone most of the time so it’s not an issue. Wouldn’t use a radio even if I did hunt with a partner. If you think radios make you a better hunter then go for it. 

Its always nice to have a spotter, nothing more frustrating then stalking a Deer that got up and moved just after you started after him and you don't know it. Hunt the way you want not the way everybody else wants you to hunt, its tough no matter how you hunt them with a Bow.

2 hours ago, Millhouse said:

How close were you in that pic Trophy?

Like 75 yards. My friend texting me was like dude you’re 30 yards away from him. I ended up missing him from like 30 though