Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

Who’s got a custom muzzleloader

Looking for info on building a non smoke pole muzzy on a 700, 70, or savage action? I’ve looked at some complete customs but 5-8k is a bit steep. I’ve got the actions, stocks, triggers, etc so I don’t think I want to buy a complete gun. I was looking at arrowhead for a build. I haven’t built a muzzleloader yet so any info would be great.

6 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Oooohh new avatar pic.  Pushing your anti wolf agenda huh 

Haha actually I was just reading a muzzy article by Toby Bridges and saw he started a website called “lobowatch” apparently it non existent now but that picture was there. Coincidence? Or fate? You tell me?

• Like 1

I had arrowhead rebarrel my remington UML which is a short action 700  with a brux  barrel and install his ignition system. I use his bullets and size them to the barrel. The rifle shoots three bullets all touching at 100 yards, and around 2500 fps with blackhorn 209.  Let me know any questions you have about it. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Don't let ole buster see it!

??? 

As far as muzzleloaders go, I have one from bad to the bone in las cruces.  One of the best shooting guns I own, centerfires included.  He’ll build one on your own action but it only saves you what an action costs I guess.  They’re $4500 I believe.  Unreal gun though.  Mine shoots a big ragged hole at 100 and 4” at 500 yards.  I like the case system he uses over the module that arrowhead uses, although I haven’t used an arrowhead rifle.  

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

??? 

As far as muzzleloaders go, I have one from bad to the bone in las cruces.  One of the best shooting guns I own, centerfires included.  He’ll build one on your own action but it only saves you what an action costs I guess.  They’re $4500 I believe.  Unreal gun though.  Mine shoots a big ragged hole at 100 and 4” at 500 yards.  I like the case system he uses over the module that arrowhead uses, although I haven’t used an arrowhead rifle.  

Good info! And thank you! Your not the buster being referred to. Your the good one!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Good info! And thank you! Your not the buster being referred to. Your the good one!

I was wondering.  I’ve got in a few spats on here about various things but I don’t think it was ever over wolves and ever with Kev. 

I would say whatever road you take with the muzzy make sure it’s a sabotless build.  Getting the sabot out of the equation seems to be the key.  Then make sure you top it with a good dialable scope.  Even though mine does 2570 FPS with 300’s, it still drops a bunch when you get out past 300 yards.  

Jeff Hankins and Luke (arrowhead) have very similar systems. I have a hankins set up. A friend of mine has arrowhead. They both shoot amazing with 300's and 325's. I like the Hankins ram rod set up better than Luke's and I like Luke's breech plug and break better than Jeff's. That's what I would do if I were building again.

• Like 1

On 2/8/2020 at 7:46 AM, thegunsmith2506 said:

I was looking into a smoke less build a few years back but I thought it wasnt legal in Az. 

I think your right. What I’ve read says black powder or synthetic black powder.