Sign in to follow this  
grey curse

? On Muzzleloaders reg change.

There is no need to make any change to the current muzzleloader regs. Smokeless powders are already not allowed.

R12-4-301 (Definitions)

"'Muzzleloading rifle' means a firearm intended to be fired from the shoulder, incapable of firing fixed ammunition, having a single barrel, and loaded through the muzzle with black powder or synthetic black powder and a single projectile."

Taken from page 125 of the 2019-20 AZ Hunting Regs

• Like 2

On 2/9/2020 at 1:14 PM, bojangles said:

i'd be for iron sights only.  Hope it doesn't ruffle feathers.  

Or at least rules against smokeless powder.  

I think it's an insult to muzzle loading enthusiasts with some of these in lines, topped with a scope, that shoot smokeless.  

i'm also against crossbows in archery season.  

but, i'm not going to start a war over these things.  

sometimes it's just good to see people getting out there.  

muzzle loading is a fine and honorable tradition, which i pursue at from time to time.  (and mostly fail, lol).  i'd like to see it remain an honorable tradition, and not go the way of big ego's and big money.  

Already can't use smokeless powder during Muzzleloader season. And you can't use a crossbow during archery season unless you have a doctors letter stating a medical reason you can't pull back a bow.

4 hours ago, Big Browns said:

I really hope Az G&F doesn't do this for one simple reason.  We already have enough regulations!  We don't need any more regulations!  Yes, a few people have long range muzzleloaders, but the percentage of those who do and those who don't is very different.  I still don't understand why this county continues to bend it's will to the minority of those pursuing anything!  I don't know why so many are up in arms about long range muzzleoaders anyway.  I almost guarantee those with a long range muzzleloader are much more accurate than those without.  

How about we start shaming people for their poor accuracy and not the distance they take animals!!!!

What he said.  I think to be sporting we should ban all rifles and bows and use a hand thrown spear to take game animals.  As it is now they don't stand a chance...except when when I have a tag 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

So, if one guy is using a scoped modern ML'er and another guy is using a traditional ML, how is the traditional guy being harmed?

Never understood this line of thinking other than "if you don't do it my way, you suck". 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, pwrguy said:

What he said.  I think to be sporting we should ban all rifles and bows and use a hand thrown spear to take game animals.  As it is now they don't stand a chance...except when when I have a tag 😎

Spears? Really??? I can only afford a round rock and I rely on my good throwing arm! Is this class warfare or racism? I think we should go back to using only parts of the hunters living body to take game. Or we can just hunt and not try to nickel and dime everyone to make even more restrictions.

With technology comes new updated rules.  It is just life.  I like states that leave muzzleloaders primitive.  Muzzleloader tags used to be high draw odds because it was harder to actually get an animal with them.  Now the draw odds have gone to shoot because modern muzzleloaders with scopes are basically center fire rifles.  Would be great if they opened a seperate archery season for recurves and stickbows.  

2 hours ago, AZkiller said:

Already can't use smokeless powder during Muzzleloader season. And you can't use a crossbow during archery season unless you have a doctors letter stating a medical reason you can't pull back a bow.

yep.  just hoping it stays that way.  

not gonna kill me if it doesn't, though.

3 hours ago, grey curse said:

Crossbows in archery season can only be used if they have a camp permit.   

I agree    This should be the only restriction.   

thanks for all the reply’s.  Thinking I’ll just use the rem uml and put a arrowhead breach plug with a MZ-Rex brake followed by a Timney trigger and call it good.  

yep.  just hoping it stays that way.  A lot of states are changing.  i'm not gonna pitch a fit either way.  

1 hour ago, JSR said:

So, if one guy is using a scoped modern ML'er and another guy is using a traditional ML, how is the traditional guy being harmed?

Never understood this line of thinking other than "if you don't do it my way, you suck". 

It's not about the other ml hunter.

Muzzleloader only hunts are a draw.   AZGF will allot permits based on the take.  Could be AZGF wants to sell more permits and believes modifying current muzzleloader rules will increase "hunter opportunity."