Sign in to follow this  
Gut Pile

OTC Utah elk hunt

I'm considering doing an OTC elk hunt in Utah this year. From what I've read, the North & South Slope areas are promising and beautiful to hunt. I'd like to do an any bull rifle hunt. Anybody hunted up there? What should I expect? Obviously scouting will be extremely limited if at all due the distance from PHX. I will be doing this Solo. I'm not looking for Giants, I'm looking for opportunity. I might even do the spike bull hunt , because I believe you are permitted to take a cow instead if you wish. It might be a way to bring home meat and learn about the hunts & area up there. I enjoy seeing the critters even if I don't close. As long as I see what I'm after regularly, that's a good hunt. Let me know your suggestions if you've done this before. 

The Spike tag is only good for cows during the archery hunt... and I think there is at least one unit that is just Spike only. I hunted the South Slope during the archery season this year. The areas that are accessible from the highway get pretty crowded and the elk are pretty dispersed. The archery season cuts off most of the rut. I didn't hear a single bugle during the archery season. During the rifle hunt, there is a good chance it will be snowy and cold. The areas that hold elk tend to be very steep and dark timber. Feel free to send a PM if you have more questions.

If your willing to go out of state just to fill your freezer I would seriously consider an AZ over counter hunt.  Even if you didn't kill first time around you gain valuble info for next time.  I've never had a drawn tag in az but still have killed 3 times.  None of these hunts are a gimme, but all are doable with a little legwork. 

4 hours ago, wayno945 said:

The Spike tag is only good for cows during the archery hunt... and I think there is at least one unit that is just Spike only. I hunted the South Slope during the archery season this year. The areas that are accessible from the highway get pretty crowded and the elk are pretty dispersed. The archery season cuts off most of the rut. I didn't hear a single bugle during the archery season. During the rifle hunt, there is a good chance it will be snowy and cold. The areas that hold elk tend to be very steep and dark timber. Feel free to send a PM if you have more questions.

+1

g.png

BB.jpg