Sign in to follow this  
PhxDT

Which cow Hunt? 5a or 6a? (other?)

I am looking to put in (as my second choice) a cow elk hunt.  My family all has 5-6 points, and if we get drawn for cow, I am seeking a premium cow hunt.  both 5a and 6a seem to have similar draw rates, but success rates are bumpy.

Which cow hunt would be a better choice?

Sounds Like a 12A 12B you won't go wrong

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would do 5a over 6a, just make sure you are not in the bonus point round for the cow hunt or you will have no chance at your 1st choice.  You WILL get your cow hunt.  

• Like 3

Thank you for the feedback.  I haven't used that software before (happy to purchase it if worth it).  Given between 5-6 points with 4 ppl on the draw, does this say I would be in bonus pass?  Sorry to be high maintenance.

3 hours ago, PhxDT said:

Thank you for the feedback.  I haven't used that software before (happy to purchase it if worth it).  Given between 5-6 points with 4 ppl on the draw, does this say I would be in bonus pass?  Sorry to be high maintenance.

Looks like yes, but based on last years numbers if im not mistaken.  Let's pin down exactly what you guys have BP wise collectively on your app.  Man I'd hate to burn that many points on a cow tag, unless of course you simply dont care because you already killed a good bull and just wanna go hunt.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

how many total points between the 4 of you?  I ll look up your odds for you

I appreciate the help.  we have 21 points total for the 4 of us.  One bummer is that we have a conflict on the schedule for the hunt right after Thanksgiving this year, so that option (and like 80% of the hunts) are out.

So I was thinking about doing the early 10 bull (ultra premium, tiny chance from what I see) followed up by the best cow hunt (not directly after Tgiving).  I'd prefer to go bull hunting, and I agree about the points, but we all hate having tough hunts- like getting a bull tag in a tough unit and not seeing many bulls.

7 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

Looks like yes, but based on last years numbers if im not mistaken.  Let's pin down exactly what you guys have BP wise collectively on your app.  Man I'd hate to burn that many points on a cow tag, unless of course you simply dont care because you already killed a good bull and just wanna go hunt.  

Just responded above- thanks for the help.  I have some timing restrictions (no hunt directly after Tgiving).  Perhaps I just put in for two early rifle and then just try for next year is not drawn.

I'd love to do archery, but the 3 family members with me aren't prepared, or have the ability to do so. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Or put 1 or 2 people in for cow this year and every one goes an has a good time.

ohhh, I didn't think about that.  I'll talk to the guys.

both 5a and 6a early rifle cow were in the bonus point pass with 6 points last year.  They were not a 100% but were in it.  You'd be rolling the dice on whether or not your 1st choice gets looked at.  

13 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

both 5a and 6a early rifle cow were in the bonus point pass with 6 points last year.  They were not a 100% but were in it.  You'd be rolling the dice on whether or not your 1st choice gets looked at.  

Also the numbers I posted were for last year. Typical There’s at least one point of point creep. 

• Like 1