Sign in to follow this  
ZJARCHER

wanted: Taxidermist with freeze dryer for velvet

Anybody have any availability in their freeze dryer? I have my 2018 Coues and 2019 muley that I need frozen. Coues is still cape on. Muley is caped. I want to euro both of them (just skull- no plaque) AND tan both hides while I save for shoulder mounts.

Thanks in advance

Brandon

Yeah, mogollon. You can do it yourself. Just leave the antlers in the freezer uncovered for a year or more. I’ve done that with several bucks and they’ve always held up good. Sounds like the 2018 buck should be done. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Yeah, mogollon. You can do it yourself. Just leave the antlers in the freezer uncovered for a year or more. I’ve done that with several bucks and they’ve always held up good. Sounds like the 2018 buck should be done. 

Professional freeze drying is a different process than just leaving it in a freezer for a year. 

Wes and Clays machines are limited on the size of rack they can fit. I use a taxidermist in southern Colorado that can freeze dry a large elk. Ed F

10 hours ago, BOWUNTR said:

Professional freeze drying is a different process than just leaving it in a freezer for a year. 

Wes and Clays machines are limited on the size of rack they can fit. I use a taxidermist in southern Colorado that can freeze dry a large elk. Ed F

Yes, I am aware of that. I am also aware that a lot of reputable taxidermists that do not have have a freeze dryer just leave them in their freezer for a year before they mount them.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 3:31 PM, GreyGhost85 said:

I've done this too. I have a buck that's 8yrs out of the freezer and still looks great.