Sign in to follow this  
JSR

Barrel vs velocity?

oh my bad... that one doesn't make much sense.  Sounds like a testing anomaly or change of some other variable.  

• Like 1

So I have a tikka .308 that has a 22” barrel.   I shoot the 178 grain ELD-X down the tube.   Get a lab radar 2725 FPS out of the barrel.   I think I could push it more but that is where I ended up.   Didn’t try RL powders but I think I could get more velocity if needed.   

got a 6.5 x 284 with a 22” barrel that I get a chronographed speed of 2910.   Again I could do more and I use 4831 in this cartridge with a 143 grain ELDX.   my experience with shorter barrels has been great.   Shooting a short barrel is fine.  For hunting we need speed, balance, manageable weight and accuracy.   Speed is only part of the equation.   I also haven’t noticed a decrease in accuracy.  Gun still shoots really, really tight groups out to a G.  

On 2/14/2020 at 8:27 PM, azelkhunter2 said:

Several yrs ago I played with barrel lengths and what effect a shorter barrel had on velocity’s. Long story short. I started with a 26” barrel on a 7 stw and cut one inch off at a time. From 27 inches down to 23 inches I lost 60 FPS....Then a funny thing happened....From 22 inches all the way down to 18 inches Velocities returned back to what I was getting with a 26 inch barrel. No powder or bullet changes and all testing was done under the same conditions. I have confirmed this several times over the yrs with different calibers....

If you made no powder change the amount of unburned powder particles would radically increase in the 18 inch barrel to the point your chronograph would be reading the ejecta and not the actual bullet. The ejecta is moving much faster than the bullet. This is quite common and misinterpreted. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, L Cazador said:

If you made no powder change the amount of unburned powder particles would radically increase in the 18 inch barrel to the point your chronograph would be reading the ejecta and not the actual bullet. The ejecta is moving much faster than the bullet. This is quite common and misinterpreted. 

a lot of people put their chonograph too close to the end of the barrel, regardless of barrel length.

I try to put mine at least 10 yards out front. Seems to get more consistent readings, for me anyway.